Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 - Side by Side Photos, with Transitions

Hello - I am using iMovie 10 (10.0.4) on my Mac (3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB Memory). I am taking two portrait photos and using the Side by Side feature to put them on the screen at the same time. This works fine.

The problems are:

1. Slide button does not work

2. Transitions (I've tried most of them) only apply to the lower photo in the Timeline

Later in my movie I have two video clips on the screen via the Side by Side feature, one short clip that slides in (top) and one long clip (bottom). The transitions work fine into the bottom clip, and the top clip slides in well.

Leads me to believe that the Side by Side feature doesn't work for photos - am I right, or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thank you

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:44 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 12:57 AM in response to donaia

Well I can't imagine this obscure question will be answered - but if you are like me and somehow reached this problem - here is a fix that I just found:

- take two photos and use Side by Side photos as normal, setting the slide to 0.5s

- add 1.0s Cross Dissolve transitions at both ends

- change the start of the top photo in the Timeline so that it begins at the BEGINNING of the preceding transition, not the end

- change the end of the top photo in the Timeline so that it ends at the END of the following transition, not the beginning

Presto - you have a way of using photos in Side by Side, with transitions. I probably missed something elementary to create this problem, but the above is my solution!

iMovie 10 - Side by Side Photos, with Transitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.