Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My volume buttons have ceased to work when I want to use the built-in speakers, however they will work when I use my headphones....help!

This thread concerns IOS 7.1.2. update and the subsequent loss of volume button functionality and use of internal speakers.

Please can someone help from the mac team!

It's not a jailbreak phone. The phone is a replacement from Apple and the volume buttons are virtually won't work for certain functions on the phone. Here are the symptoms:

1. When the volume buttons are pressed on the home screen i get "ringer" and the speaker symbol appear but nothing more (ie. +/- volume)
  2. When playing back from iTunes with no headphones in, I get nothing through the internal speakers, nor do the volume buttons work, nor is the volume slider visable.
  3. When i playback Youtube content with no headphones in, I get nothing through the internal speakers, nor do the volume buttons work, nor is the volume slider visable.
  4. With headphones plugged in sound is audible and volume buttons work.
  5. Whilst using voicemail, (no headphones connected) i can play the message through the speakers and control volume using side buttons.

I have restored the phone and this has not fixed the problem.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.2. upgrade

Posted on Jul 11, 2014 11:53 PM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 2:24 PM in response to jeremyldb3

Hey there jeremy,

It sounds like your Volume buttons aren't working correctly and you are also not getting sound from your built in speaker. I would start by quitting all the running apps on your phone:

iOS: Force an app to close

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the phone and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

My volume buttons have ceased to work when I want to use the built-in speakers, however they will work when I use my headphones....help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.