Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 macbook pro wont boot from osx dvd

My 2010 macbook pro crashed. I formatted the HD now it won't boot from Leopard or Sno leopard system dvd's. It will however boot from Windows 7.

I removed the HD and formatted it in a removable tray and it installed snow leopard fine. When I replaced it into the macbook it won't read. I can find the HD and the dvd but when dvd is chosen the computer hangs.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 2:51 AM

Are you using the white Snow Leopard retail disc? You need to be using the gray discs that came with your machine - NOT an upgrade disc. If you don't have the discs that came with your machine you can contact Apple, give them your serial number and for about $20USD they will ship you the machine-specific discs which shipped with your model.

If you are using the gray Leopard DVD that came with your Mac, you should be able to boot from it, erase the hard drive and re-install the system. Then you can use the white Snow Leopard disc to upgrade your system. Just insert the gray disc, hold down the option key whilst booting and select "Disk Utility" from the Utilities listed. Erase the drive and then you should be able to install Leopard (if, indeed, that's what's on the gray disc and the system that shipped with your model).

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 2:51 AM in response to elvag

Are you using the white Snow Leopard retail disc? You need to be using the gray discs that came with your machine - NOT an upgrade disc. If you don't have the discs that came with your machine you can contact Apple, give them your serial number and for about $20USD they will ship you the machine-specific discs which shipped with your model.

If you are using the gray Leopard DVD that came with your Mac, you should be able to boot from it, erase the hard drive and re-install the system. Then you can use the white Snow Leopard disc to upgrade your system. Just insert the gray disc, hold down the option key whilst booting and select "Disk Utility" from the Utilities listed. Erase the drive and then you should be able to install Leopard (if, indeed, that's what's on the gray disc and the system that shipped with your model).

Good luck,

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS Mavericks 10.9.4, 16GB Crucial RAM, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

2010 macbook pro wont boot from osx dvd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.