Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

swupd_syncd data consumption

Hi

I need help to resolve a data issue I have with swupd_syncd running under _softwareupdate when the computer is in sleep mode. During sleep mode the update service downloads about 10gb of data over a period of 10 hours.

This problem started after I upgraded to version 10.9.4.

Last week the service downloaded 85gb before being informed by my ISP.User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 1:56 AM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 9:17 AM in response to amienel

amienel wrote:

Hi

I need help to resolve a data issue I have with swupd_syncd running under _softwareupdate when the computer is in sleep mode. During sleep mode the update service downloads about 10gb of data over a period of 10 hours.

This is what Software Update Server is usually intended to do; to download patches and updates from Apple. The question then becomes whether its become "stuck" on some download and might need a "whack" to get it working again, or if Software Update Server is downloading real updates.

To investigate that, have a look at the Console.app and the console logs related to the Software Update Server activity.

If you choose to follow Linc Davis' approach, do remember to re-configure any clients using this Software Update Server to use the Apple servers — that change will then consume bandwidth for each download from each client that was formerly using this Software Update Server, and which is usually why Software Update Server was initially configured.

swupd_syncd data consumption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.