Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Channel EQ setup problem

Hi everyone!

I use Logic Pro X 10.0.7 and Channel EQ for equalization some of my tracks in project. I encountered such a problem as

- When I try setup frequency as 78.2 Hz Channel EQ rounds it to 78 Hz

- When I try to setup 78.8 Hz Channel EQ rounds it to 79 Hz

- When I try setup 232.8 Hz Channel EQ rounds it to 235 Hz ⚠ (2 Hz dissolves in air!)

- When I try setup 765.48 Hz Channel EQ rounds it to 770 Hz ⚠ (5 Hz dissolves in air!)

Why Channel EQ not so precise? Can anybody explain me what I do wrong? Why Channel EQ rounded to the nearest whole number? In the last case Channel EQ jumps to 235 Hz!

Are you still to think, that Channel EQ in Logic pro X developed for exact work? Channel EQ has nice look, but not precise in frequency equalization! This is like a plastic toy... cute but useless.

Can anybody from Apple support explain me this situation?

Best regards,

Alexander

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 1:20 AM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2014 2:52 AM in response to Alexander Axiom

Maybe you like some other aspects of the EQ. I don't think the ability to fine tune the EQ in the manner you describe could account for that. Not being a scientist, I'd almost think the minute differences you describe could only be measured by specialized equipment. A fractional movement of your head within the listening environment would likely cause more fluctuation.

Jul 12, 2014 3:27 AM in response to Alexander Axiom

And do these 2 EQ's have identical envelopes, filter slopes, headroom etc etc.

There are so many points of difference between 2 different EQ's that you can't know if it is the frequency variation that you hear (0.2hz variations are not audible)

Display the waveform changes on both EQ's, they should be identical (except for a 0.2hz frequency shift)

Jul 12, 2014 3:45 AM in response to seeren

May be. I bought Logic pro X around year ago. And I really glad to use this software. And I think that if Logic Pro X positioned was professional DAW, it must to have precise equalization! For example, Ableton Live! has it, Digital Performer has it, Pro Tools has it also. But Logic Pro X (Pro!) doesn't! Why?

And this is not one problem that gives me motivation for change Logic to another DAW.

For example:

- if I crete new software instrument track and setup Q-swing to 50% I never return this parameter to zero. I can decrease it to 1% only. But not return to zero! Why?

- in Piano Roll after 3-5 hours of work if I try to change note length I can do it with maximum magnification only! In other case mouse cursor jumps around. I don't have this problem with other DAW's

- if I try to loop clip with mouse cursor, I can do it after magnification only. In other case I can't do it. Clip on the track doesn't have reaction. And mouse cursor still to "arrow". This is problem presents from the first Logic Pro X version.

- Sound generation engine in Logic Pro X.... By my own opinion is not good. Digital Performer gives more clear sound, I guess (I have trial version of DP 8 on my MacBook Pro). But this is my opinion only.

Of course, I can change DAW. But I already have one - Logic Pro X. I did my chose and I spent money for this DAW. And I want to get good product in "pro" level.

And I want to hear answer to my question from Apple support before I decide about DAW changing.

Jul 12, 2014 7:51 PM in response to Alexander Axiom

Alexander Axiom wrote:

And I want to hear answer to my question from Apple support before I decide about DAW changing.

Apple support is not a thing. There are only user communities. Try going to an Apple store and see how much they know.

- if I crete new software instrument track and setup Q-swing to 50% I never return this parameter to zero. I can decrease it to 1% only. But not return to zero! Why?

You don't understand how q-swing works. 50% is nothing, and 1% is playing a note so early it is practically on top of the note from the previous division. 0% would be actually playing the note a whole (1/8, 1/16th, etc. depending on your quantize settings) division early.

I can't answer your two middle quirks because I've never had those issues. Even at the most zoomed out I can still get a loop cursor, and my piano roll editing doesn't take a dive after a few hours.

- Sound generation engine in Logic Pro X.... By my own opinion is not good. Digital Performer gives more clear sound, I guess (I have trial version of DP 8 on my MacBook Pro). But this is my opinion only.

A blanket statement like this doesn't hold water. You may prefer a particular synth, or EQ, or compressor, or whatever, in a different DAW (or a third party plug) - and that is fine. But to say "X DAW's sound engine is better than Y DAW's sound engine" is a pretty tired argument that I've never seen proven, but have seen debunked dozens upon dozens of times. Go search on gearslutz and you will find plenty. Better yet, start a new one and see how long it takes people to groan "not this again."

On the EQ thing. If you want to use Logic, but need that precision difference of .2 hz to get professional results, you'll have to get a third party EQ.

Channel EQ setup problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.