Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to iMac, no text entered into password box

I had the issue of my iMac going to black screen prior to the login screen. I tried using voiceover to login, and got to the login password text box, but when I tried to enter text there was nothing - no clicks, and no password getting entered. I thought I was just doing something wrong. I finally used a different fix and now the machine boots all the way to the login screen, showing my main, guest and other icons. When I click on the main icon, it shows the password box. But I can't type anything in it. I can push keys all I want, but no dots show in the box and the cursor doesn't move. I can log on as a guest, which is how I'm typing this now. Obviously the keyboard works, there is something blocking the password from being input into the password box. Help?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:47 AM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2014 6:58 AM in response to badgerbrew14

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is only suitable for advanced users, preferably with command-line experience. It works sometimes. There's no assurance it will work in your case. If you don’t understand the directions or don’t feel able to carry them out, STOP.

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so. There are ways to back up, even if you can’t log in. Before proceeding,you must be sure you can restore everything to the state it’s in now. If you’re not absolutely sure you can do that,STOP.

Briefly, you need to delete the following file:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist

If you already know how to do that, you can skip the rest of this message. Do it, and try again to log in.

Step 1

Start up in single-user mode by holding down the key combination command-S at the startup chime. If you’re using an external USB keyboard, it must be plugged directly into a built-in port on the Mac, not into a hub. Release the keys when you see a black screen with scrolling white text. In this mode, there’s no graphical interface; just a command line. Initially, you can’t make any changes to files.

Step 2

When the text stops scrolling, and you see a line ending in a pound sign (“#”), type the following command:

mount -uw /

You must type the command exactly as given, with no mistakes. If you don’t feel able to do that, STOP.

Press the return key.

Step 3

Enter the following command:

rm -i /L*/*/*login*

Again, you must get it exactly right. You should be prompted to remove a file named exactly "com.apple.loginwindow.plist". Press the Y key and then return to confirm. Press the N key and then return if you get any other response

Step 4

Enter the command:

exit

Press return. The text will start scrolling again, and then the system will restart. Try again to log in.

Can't login to iMac, no text entered into password box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.