Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 MacBook Air 11" switches off repeatedly

Hi,

I bought a 11" MacBook Air in 2012 and it had worked fine. It has started regularly switching off for about two months. First, only once a day but started being more frequent and recently 8-10 times a day. Switch off times are not related to any software usage but happened often if charger is connected.

I have done:

• Cleaned internal, fan and cooling sink from dust and installed a fan monitoring and setting app to increase fan speed - no success, still switching off.
  • Reset SMC - no success.
  • Installed Apple firmware update for crashing Air issue - no success.
  • Checked system monitor messages - nothing related found.

After all, I decided to upgrade to Maverick, I thought it might help. Instead of resolving the issue now I'm unable to finish OSX upgrade as install freezes at one point (~30% of the progress bar) and the Air shuts down after random time (as before).

Of course, I haven't bought Apple care for an extra year... 😠

And now some questions:

• Can I do anything else except visiting an Apple center to let it repair for heaps of money?
  • BTW, do I have a chance to get it repaired for free?
  • How could I roll back to Mounten Lion?
  • Has anybody got a similar issue? What was your solution?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Cheers,

Dezso

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 4:35 AM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 7:06 AM in response to dkaldenekker

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -k Sender kernel -k Message CSeq 'n Cause: -' | tail | awk '/:/{$4=""; print}' | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

2012 MacBook Air 11" switches off repeatedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.