Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV does not work after installing OS X Mavericks. It only works with AirParrot ...

Hello everyone,
My Apple TV does not work anymore since I installed OS X Maverick (OS X 10.9.4). It only works if I use AirParrot, but the audio and video quality is not great ...
With the previous operating system (Mountain Lion) my Apple TV (model MD199TY / A, upgraded to version 6.2) worked perfectly.
I have a 2011 iMac 21.5-inch, 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, graphics card AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB., Macintosh HD 450 GB.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 4:51 AM

5 replies

Jul 16, 2014 9:48 AM in response to Nausica74

Hello and thank you for having responded to me!

With Mavericks I see my Apple TV but, when I try to stream my Mac screen, the TV screen goes black and I can not hear the audio ...
If I use iTunes Video the Apple TV works perfectly!
But I would like to watch some movies on my TV in Avi format or MKV, using the VLC player. With iTunes Video I can not see them ...

Do you have any idea to help me?

Jul 16, 2014 6:24 PM in response to Nausica74

I do but you will not like it.

The easy but annoying workaround is to re-encode your avi, and others using Handbrake to mp4, then you add the movie to iTunes Library and stream it.

Otherwise if you want to fix your issue with sharing your Mac screen you have to isolate it further:

Basically, you got a network communication :

Mac <==> Router (or WiFi Access Point) <==> Apple TV

I assume this is a network issue... But I am not certain it could also be a firmware update on your AppleTV / Router...

Since you state it happen after updating to Maverick I would do the following :

-Power cycle your router. (unplug it from the electrical socket for a few minutes then replug)

-Try streaming from an other Mac or iOS (iPad/iPhone) to isolate the issue

-Try using an other router or access point to isolate further

-If you agree to, restore/update your AppleTV

Jul 17, 2014 7:50 AM in response to Nausica74

Thank you, I prefer to keep my movies in their original format.
I tried to apply what you suggested:
- I turned off my router for 10 minutes, then I rebooted (no change)
- I do not have other Mac or iPad / iPhone (this test I skipped)
- I tried with another router (no change)
- I did the restore / update my Apple TV (no change)
I will continue to use AirParrot. Too bad ...
Thanks again for your help!

Aug 2, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Enelass

Hello, I solved my problem!
I made a backup of all my data, then I initialized my hard disk and I reinstalled Maveriks.
Now Apple TV works!
Maybe the problem was caused by Parallels 9. At the moment I have not yet installed. I'm doing a backup with Time Machine, then I'll try to install Parallels 9.
However, it was not a problem Maveriks.
Thanks again, until next time!

Apple TV does not work after installing OS X Mavericks. It only works with AirParrot ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.