Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicklook Maverick

Apple is becoming more and more like windows. I just updated my perfectly good macbook snow leopard to free maverick. Now million things dont work like before. Quick Look features that were working for almost all the filetypes including matlabs, tex, pl just work for .text files. My softwares such as Sicstus prolog stopped working. I hate to say this - but apple is going to windows path - losing consistency and robustness.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 5:07 AM

5 replies

Jul 12, 2014 5:50 AM in response to Ramin81

Mavericks works just fine. It is not Snow Leopard. Those Quick Look file formats that you mention were most likely Quick Look plug-ins provided by those product vendors, not by Apple as default support in Snow Leopard. Today, the current versions of those products may not provide Quick Look support. Your Sicstus Prolog may have depended on Power PC code that was not supported after Snow Leopard, or needs newer versions for Mavericks compatibility.

It sounds to me as though you expected Mavericks to solve all of your third-party customizations and Snow Leopard dependencies with no effort on your part. That issue does not make Apple more like Microsoft, and some upgrade preparation is inherently your responsibility.

Jul 16, 2014 6:03 PM in response to Ramin81

Maverick is incredibly slower than slow leopard. I wish I never updated it. With a quick look on google you will find out that many people are complaining about the speed and quick look problems. I deal with many file with different extensions which are basically text and could always see through them with a click of space on the file name. Now, none of such files, or even .m (matlab) files or video files are opening. Mac was always good in doing a robust job. I want my system to be better after updating the os x not spending so much time on modifying and fine tuning. It is very disappointing. I get that some third party software wont work and I am totally fine by it. By the same easy and small stuff which made mac way different that rubbish windows are now gone. Maverick is a slow and rubbish operating system and I wish I never had installed it just because it was free

Jul 16, 2014 6:34 PM in response to Ramin81

Ramin81 wrote:

Maverick is incredibly slower than slow leopard. I wish I never updated it. With a quick look on google you will find out that many people are complaining about the speed and quick look problems. I deal with many file with different extensions which are basically text and could always see through them with a click of space on the file name. Now, none of such files, or even .m (matlab) files or video files are opening. Mac was always good in doing a robust job. I want my system to be better after updating the os x not spending so much time on modifying and fine tuning. It is very disappointing. I get that some third party software wont work and I am totally fine by it. By the same easy and small stuff which made mac way different that rubbish windows are now gone. Maverick is a slow and rubbish operating system and I wish I never had installed it just because it was free

That's your call, but we are here to help & we are not Apple.

There are guides on reverting to older OS's - If you have a backup of 10.6.8 that should be reasonably simple. Just be aware that apps that have upgraded the DB or file format won't revert as easily (iPhoto, iTunes, Pages…).

It's somewhere below (there were at least 2 posts on reverting in the Mavericks section)

User Tip Contributions

(this new forum search is useless).

'.m' files are used by Xcode & other many apps - it isn't a unique extension - what should Apple do to handle these correctly by default?

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/m

I too was annoyed to see all my .sh scripts turn into white blank documents in 10.9's Quicklook, however after setting TextMate to handle '.sh' files the previews returned. Try setting the 'Open in…' handler in the get info dialog to your app & apply to all. If the app can handle making previews it should work.

Personally, I'd suggest you hold onto the backup & give 10.9 a few days.

It gets better, especially as spotlight & quick look get chance to process everything.

If you can vent clearly, focusing on the issue at hand (not generalities) we may be able to suggest solutions 🙂

Quicklook Maverick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.