Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update apps but can download them; doesn't accept (valid) virtual CC. What to do?

I can download new apps but can't update the existing ones. What happens when I press "Update all" is the following:

App Store asks me for the password, it recognizes it as valid, the icon of the apps change from "Update" to that circle that should eventually fill up, but then all icons convert back to "Update".

I don't have a payment method associated with my account (I used to have one). When I try updating my account with the information of a (valid) virtual CC, it rejects the card even though virtual CCs have worked perfectly well before.

I have this problem both with the iOS App Store and the Mac App Store.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:43 AM

14 replies

Jul 12, 2014 11:38 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

This didn't help. I have been having this problem for over a month now. The background of the problem may help: I didn't have such a problem before. At one point, I changed the password of my Apple account and removed the CC as a payment method. The password works, and I can download new apps but can not update the existing ones.

Jul 13, 2014 2:49 PM in response to ttt_

There are two ways you might recover from this condition.

1. Select

Store View My Account

from the App Store menu bar, then select View hidden purchases. Stop or resume the download.

2. Open LaunchPad and find the icon of the app you're trying to install. There will be a small progress bar below it. Click the "X" to stop the download.

Jul 13, 2014 2:55 PM in response to ttt_

There may be another reason for this.

What device and version are you trying to update apps on?

I ask because some apps will ask to be updated when they can't run on the device's operating system

While there is an update available for the app, it can only run the version currently installed.

If this is the case, does anyone remember how to stop the notifications?

Jul 21, 2014 7:33 PM in response to ttt_

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Select

/var/log ▹ appstore.log

from the hierarchical list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Select the messages from the last installation or update attempt, starting from the time when you initiated it. If you're not sure when that was, click the Clear Display button in the toolbar of the Console window and then try the installation again.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V).

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

☞ The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

☞ Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Aug 20, 2014 4:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

Exactly what parts of the log am I supposed to copy?

Also, I signed out of the AppStore on my iPhone and logged back in again, and entered the details of another CC. This time, when I tried to update certain apps, only 2 of them got updated, and the same thing happened with the rest of them (loading/waiting, then the "update" text without actually getting updated, and there are even blue dots next to the app icons, as if the apps were updated).

Edit: I get error (20) when I try to update apps in the Mac App Store.

Can't update apps but can download them; doesn't accept (valid) virtual CC. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.