Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot MacBook Pro running on Mavericks.

Hello world.

I have problem with my MacBook Pro late 2012, OSX Mavericks, as i can't get it to start. I tried using the Safe mode, the recovery from the recovery HD, recovery via internet, tried using bootable USB (created in windows using TransMac)...but no luck.

While it's trying to boot It shows the apple logo, that loading circle, and sometimes the progress bar below the logo. But after that progress bar loads the MacBook always shuts down.

I have a Window 8 installed on the other partition, and it boots just fine, and i can access all the files from my MAC partition.

I remember the problem started after installing an update regarding the OS X, a month ago.

Please help. I thin i tried everything, and i don't know what to do anymore. I am from Serbia and taking it to a service is a bit complicated since the only one is located in Belgrade (the capitol).

Thank you in advance and sorry about possible grammar mistakes.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:13 AM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2014 1:23 PM in response to KtrlAltDel

You haven't stated if you can boot to the Recovery HD, but suggested that you can. If so, then do the following:

Install or Reinstall Mavericks or Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

OS X Mavericks- Erase and reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Erase and reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Erase and reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

Jul 13, 2014 3:04 AM in response to Eric Root

When i hold option/alt key during startup i get the option to choose where to boot from: OS X, Windows or Recovery HD. Here is what's happening when i click on the choices respectively:

1. When i choose OS X it doesn't load as usual, with just the apple logo, but with the progress bar also at the bottom of the screen (as if it is trying to install something). When the progress bar loads the screen blackens and the computer is off. One time, at the end of the progress bar loading, i got the written message across the screen, just before the shutdown, but it was too fast so i didn't get to read it.

2. When i choose to boot in windows everything works fine! The Windows boots and i can do everything like with the normal PC (internet explorer is still ****** btw ;-))

3. When i choose recovery HD it loads the progress bar and then shuts down (not the sleep mode with flashing light but real proper end-of-the-world shut down). Similar as when booting with OS X.

Maybe it fell in an endless loop trying to recover itself. Like the recovery data is corrupt or something.

I guess the external media boot is the solution but i just can't make it reckognize my USB during boot. Untill you think of something else i will try to create some bootable media...

Thanks for the feedback.

Jul 13, 2014 3:19 AM in response to KtrlAltDel

I red on on one thread 😎 that it might be a problem if the USB used for Booting is 3.0. Also, since this MacBook is Intel based i tried holding down "C" during the boot which should have started the procedure for booting the system from an external source (CD, USB etc) but nothing happened. Again the progress bar. Also, whet i try the network boot the planet shows up, but after a while again the apple logo with the ****** progress bar.

Excuse me for the *******s.

Can't boot MacBook Pro running on Mavericks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.