Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My autofill does not work after the update

I am trying to use the autofill for forms and does not work. I went to preferences and autofill and edit cards all my info is on the card why is it not taking my info from the card? i used to be able to do that but since the update to Maverick I can no longer us the autofill on Safari. Is there anything I can do to fix it I need step by step on how to repair this. If that does not work I cannot locate a autofill extension for safari in the store anyone know of one.

This community is the best I get all my fixes thru you all and want to personally thank all of you for your help.

Thank you

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:56 AM

Back up all data, then test after each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resolved.

1. Press the down-arrow key. (Credit to ASC member iNeight.)

2. Quit and relaunch Safari. Force quit if necessary.

3. Click in the first field to be filled, and then select

Edit â–¹ AutoFill Form

from the menu bar. You may have to reload the page in order to do this.

4. Select

Contacts â–¹ Preferences â–¹ vCard

and uncheck the box marked

Enable private me card

if it's checked.

5. Select your card in Contacts. Then select

Card â–¹ Make This My Card

from the menu bar.

6. In Safari, select

Safari â–¹ Preferences â–¹ AutoFill â–¹ AutoFill web forms: Using info from my Contacts card

If the box was already checked, uncheck it and then check it again.

7. Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access â–¹ Preferences â–¹ First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access â–¹ Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

8. Run Software Update and install any available updates.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 8:56 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

Back up all data, then test after each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resolved.

1. Press the down-arrow key. (Credit to ASC member iNeight.)

2. Quit and relaunch Safari. Force quit if necessary.

3. Click in the first field to be filled, and then select

Edit â–¹ AutoFill Form

from the menu bar. You may have to reload the page in order to do this.

4. Select

Contacts â–¹ Preferences â–¹ vCard

and uncheck the box marked

Enable private me card

if it's checked.

5. Select your card in Contacts. Then select

Card â–¹ Make This My Card

from the menu bar.

6. In Safari, select

Safari â–¹ Preferences â–¹ AutoFill â–¹ AutoFill web forms: Using info from my Contacts card

If the box was already checked, uncheck it and then check it again.

7. Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access â–¹ Preferences â–¹ First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access â–¹ Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

8. Run Software Update and install any available updates.

Jul 12, 2014 10:55 AM in response to DODGE01CHALLENGERSRT01_01

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that didn't help, it could be Safari preferences are corrupted.

Back to the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.Safari.plist file to the trash. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If nothing above helped, troubleshoot Safari extensions. There may in fact be an extension installed that's not compatible with the latest Safari update.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

Jul 12, 2014 11:21 AM in response to Linc Davis

once i get to edit autofill form i get this message AutoFill completes webpage forms using information from your Contacts card or from web forms you completed previously. The information required by this form does not match any of the information available to AutoFill.

I cannot locate step 4 like you said for contacts? any help

Oct 2, 2014 2:17 AM in response to Linc Davis

After the Safari 7.1 update, I cannot get Autofill to work properly, among other things. It will work on some pages just fine, but not on others. When it messes up, which it consistently does on some sites, I will get the Safari pop-up window asking me to allow it to fill in my log-in info, which is what it normally does, but when I click "allow", the AutoFill pop-up flashes up and is gone so fast you literally miss it if you blink. Then I have to try to enter the log-in info by hand, with the Safari pop-up window doing battle with me, insisting I allow it to do the fill in for me, and not allowing me to continue typing the info in by hand until I click "allow" and again up comes the fast-as-a flash-AutoFill pop-up card and instantly disappears. Then rinse and repeat.

I went to the AutoFill card in Safari Preferences, and it was checked. I unchecked it, checked it again, restarted Safari, and... zip. Still didn't work. I'm typing this here because after this blessedly wondrous and amazing update (please note the sarcasm) I can no longer post a direct original question to Apple Discussions. I'm tagging in here as it seems the closest to my question.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

(I'm running OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 on my iMac desktop early 2009 model

Augh! Just tried to post this and got a bizarre message: "User 'asfahan' is banned from posting content." No idea who or what that is. It has nothing to do with me. Will try again.

Oct 10, 2014 2:36 PM in response to kcat

It's a let-down that no one here responded. Usually someone answers, so this was disappointing. 😟

The good news is that I found the solution myself after a rather long and frustrating time. I went in to AutoFill, deleted the problematic site addresses, then typed them in again. Voilà! Autofill works properly again. 🙂

My autofill does not work after the update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.