Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error "file couldn't be opened" from icloud

I am trying to open documents from iCloud in pages but it says it can't be opened. I saved it on my macbook and now want to open on my mac and they both have the most up to date version of pages. Is there a way to open a previous version? iCloud doesn't have many options in pages.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:47 AM

When you open Pages and see the document chooser, switch the location in the Toolbar from On My Mac to iCloud. Can you open your document from the now displayed iCloud items?

If you are logged into iCloud and select Pages (for iCloud beta). You will have your documents presented. You can right-click on the specific document and choose to Download Document… . Choose Pages. This will be downloaded with a .zip extension, which Pages v5(.2) on OS X cannot open directly. You will need to double-click this document to get it unzipped, and the resultant (in my tested case) Pages document will just open normally.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Bridog110

When you open Pages and see the document chooser, switch the location in the Toolbar from On My Mac to iCloud. Can you open your document from the now displayed iCloud items?

If you are logged into iCloud and select Pages (for iCloud beta). You will have your documents presented. You can right-click on the specific document and choose to Download Document… . Choose Pages. This will be downloaded with a .zip extension, which Pages v5(.2) on OS X cannot open directly. You will need to double-click this document to get it unzipped, and the resultant (in my tested case) Pages document will just open normally.

Jul 12, 2014 6:55 AM in response to VikingOSX

My problem is trying to open from the iCloud document chooser. I did download from OK from safari using beta iCloud. However this is poor because then I have an extra copy that is not linked back to original. I couldn't use safari to edit it because I have special fonts which are not recognized. I think I will just retreat back to dropbox for all of my document saving but thank you for the advice. If I am in a pinch I will open safari to download iCloud files.

Is there any way to find iCloud files in finder or is that the next release of OSX?

Jul 12, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Bridog110

Unlike Pages ’09 v4.3 which wrote its documents out as zipped directories with a .pages extension — which Dropbox and Google filesystems understood as a single document — Pages v5(.2) writes out directories that only the OS X Finder helps Pages open as a Package file. These new Pages documents are incompatible with Dropbox and Google, unless they are first manually zipped (right-click and choose compress) to transform the directory structure into a single compressed document.

You can view your iCloud Pages documents in the Finder, but I would not recommend accessing them for edits directly:

Finder > [login directory] > Library > Mobile Documents > com~apple~Pages > Documents

If your local Library folder is not visible, open a Finder window and press command + J — then check Show Library Folder.

Nov 24, 2015 6:12 PM in response to Bridog110

I had the same issue on El Capitan. I could open iWork documents on my iphone and iPad but got the error on my mac.

turning off / on iCloud documents from the iCloud system preference did not fix.

What I did:

ran "first aid" in disk utilites

turned off iCloud documents in the iCloud system preference

reboot

turned on iCloud documents in the iCloud system preference

fixed for me.

Error "file couldn't be opened" from icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.