Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I move my ITunes library (on MAC) to a USB Drive? I have around 22GB in the library.

I have around 22GB of music in my ITunes library on my MAC and would love to be able to transfer it to a USB drive. I tried to transfer it to a 32GB drive and I receive a notice stating that the drive is too small. Why is that? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:08 AM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 7:35 AM in response to Maura Raymond

As for space, what and how were you trying to move? If you used this drive before, did you empty the trash when it was connected?

A 32GB drive? Sounds like a flash drive to me. I don't know I'd trust one of those, and certainly not without regular backups.

Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its subfolders and files) intact to the other drive. Open iTunes and immediately hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) so you get a prompt to select a library, then guide it to the 'iTunes Library.itl' file in the moved iTunes folder.

Jul 14, 2014 3:29 PM in response to Maura Raymond

If you are using a Flash Drive, I agree with Limnos, and it is probably formatted to Windows FAT32 format which has issues with large numbers of files.

You can reformat the Flash Drive to Mac HTFS+ format which should simplify saving, but it will be incompatible with non-Macs unless they have specific HTFS+ software readers installed in Windows. I don't know of any for Linux.

Peter

How can I move my ITunes library (on MAC) to a USB Drive? I have around 22GB in the library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.