Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receiving outlook calendar invites

I receive outlook diary invitations from an exchange and they now come as winmail.dat files and I can't add them to ical... In fact I cant do anything with them. Help please.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:28 AM

2 replies

Feb 25, 2015 5:25 PM in response to CarlAVII

I do not believe the article referenced (see below) is correct.

Mac OS X Mail: What is a winmail.dat attachment?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2614

It says to "ignore" winmail.dat files, or to call the sender and ask them to change their settings.

Most users in an exchange setting have no capability to change their settings: their employer will not allow it. And even if they could, it is not appropriate to ask. I have tried and it does not work.

Apple needs to find a way to translate these files. I use a freeware program called TNEF for word and excel files, but for calendar invitation responses (where the recipient either accepts or rejects the calendar invitation), I cannot process a calendar notice that comes in a winmail.dat format, meaning that I then have to track acceptance and rejection manually.

TNEF can show me the message's content, but does not give me an executable file that causes my calendar to identify and accept the response.

This just feels like Apple continuing its fight with Microsoft, and refusing to cooperate.

Receiving outlook calendar invites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.