Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 4s won't charge or turn on?

I've had my iPhone 4s for almost a year now,

but only in the past few weeks has it failed to charge. For a while, it only charged when it was switched off, which was annoying, but at least it was charging. Now nothing works. My phone only shows the red battery sign when I try to switch it on, indicating it needs to be charged. This is while it's plugged in also. I tried to contact apple but to do so requires a serial number. I have no way of finding out my serial number as it won't switch on, iTunes doesn't recognize that it's plugged in and because i purchased it from Amazon.co.uk, it uses a GPP card, so doesn't have a serial number on the tray. I'm completely lost with this one. Any ideas?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:30 AM

1 reply

Jul 14, 2014 1:43 PM in response to itskate_wbu

Hey there!

It sounds like you have 2 issues here. One, else you can find your serial number, and two, your battery is not charging at all, so you cannot turn on your phone. For the former, you can use iTunes to find the serial number from one of the backups of your phone:

If you can access your computer, but not your device:

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Open Preferences. (In Mac OS X, choose iTunes > Preferences. In Windows, choose Edit > Preferences.)
  3. Click the Devices tab.
  4. Position the mouse over a backup to display the serial number of the backed-up device. iPhone and cellular iPad models also display the IMEI/MEID and Cellular Data Number:
    User uploaded file

iOS: How to find the serial number, IMEI, MEID, CDN, and ICCID number

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4061

Also, you may find some useful tips for charging issues with this article, named:

iPhone and iPod touch: Charging the battery

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

My iPhone 4s won't charge or turn on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.