Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the feature that stops downloading podcasts because I haven't listened for a period of time?

iTunes automatically stops downloading podcasts when I haven't listened to them for some arbitrary period of time. I want to turn this off so it always downloads.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:02 AM

iTunes will stop updating a podcast subscription if you have more than five episodes downloaded but not listened to, as detailed in this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23353

which states:

You've subscribed to a podcast but have more than five unplayed episodes. iTunes will stop automatically downloading newer episodes. You may get the following message:

iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently. Would you like to resume updating this podcast?

You can click Yes to continue downloading additional episodes. Or you can just listen to any part of any episode and a new episode will download at the next update.

There is no setting in iTunes to change this, but there is an AppleScript available which will apparently deal with this (I've not tried it):

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=updateexpiredpodcasts

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 8:02 AM in response to FiniteRex

iTunes will stop updating a podcast subscription if you have more than five episodes downloaded but not listened to, as detailed in this page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23353

which states:

You've subscribed to a podcast but have more than five unplayed episodes. iTunes will stop automatically downloading newer episodes. You may get the following message:

iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently. Would you like to resume updating this podcast?

You can click Yes to continue downloading additional episodes. Or you can just listen to any part of any episode and a new episode will download at the next update.

There is no setting in iTunes to change this, but there is an AppleScript available which will apparently deal with this (I've not tried it):

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=updateexpiredpodcasts

Aug 2, 2014 1:17 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

That may be the way it is supposed to work but with me it is happening to podcasts that I have been listening to. Half an hour ago I listened to a podcast that downloaded today and five minutes later, when I looked, there was the dreaded exclamation mark. I am sick of having to regularly check for exclamation marks next to podcasts that I am regularly listening to (or marking as listened to).

Aug 5, 2014 3:56 AM in response to FiniteRex

I know Apple support reps propbably don't read their own support forum, but interesting I had a link to their survey at the top of this thread, so I filled it out and final response was "Thank you very much for taking the time to complete our survey. Apple places high value on your feedback."

Yet I haven't seen a single good comment about this new iTunes podcast synch feature, but I bet it doesn't go away. It ****** me off when in the podcasts app on my phone, now they've broken iTunes too.

Sep 1, 2014 6:48 PM in response to FiniteRex

this is a really annoying "feature" that we should be able to toggle off so it doesn't interfere with our podcasts. I *always* listen to my podcasts but I don't always listen to all of them on both my shuffle and iPad so it thinks I haven't listened to it lately. This is a really annoying feature because some of my favourite podcasts from BBC do not save on their servers for longer than a week or two so I end up not downloading many of their podcasts. VERY ANNOYING, APPLE!!!!!😠

How do I turn off the feature that stops downloading podcasts because I haven't listened for a period of time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.