Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recognising iOS 7 Keyboard capital/ small case

I find it very difficult to recognise the case I am typing on iOS 7 keyboard.

1. The highlight contrast of the arrow (shift) that shows whether the character is capitalised is not obvious, especially when I dragged back to correct a character, it automatically capitalise without I noticing.
  2. The keyboard is showing all capital letters. Why can't it just show small case when I am supposed to be typing small cases?
  3. Can there be a swipe up/down method for switching capital/small case/number/frequent symbol like android?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:00 AM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 8:37 AM in response to Helena b c

Custom keyboards are not supported by Apple (yet) unless you 'j b' iOS. I'm hoping iOS 8 will add be better since Apple said it will allow 3rd parties to add custom keyboards (finally!). http://www.imore.com/custom-keyboards-ios-8-explained

Points 1 & 2 could be posted as bugs - it is a joke that an onscreen keyboard behaves this way…

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jul 16, 2014 9:26 PM in response to Helena b c

1. Under Settings > General > Keyboard, if you don't like it auto-capitalizing things for you, then turn off 'Auto-Capitalization'

2. If you see that the arrow pointing up just to the left of the spacebar is black and has a line under it, that means that you have double tapped it and it's set to all caps. Tap it once more to turn it to Grey background with white arrow pointing upwards to return it to it's normal setting.

3. The swipe down feature doesn't work for caps lock, however, if you hold down the symbols button, you can continue to type in numbers or symbols without it changing back to the alphabetic keyboard.

Recognising iOS 7 Keyboard capital/ small case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.