Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to put password on flash drive ?

Is there some way to put a password program directly on a flash drive (not on the computer) so I can take it with me when I travel and insert it into another computer ... preferably one that works on Macs and PCs? Maybe Im looking for something that doesnt exist.

Many thanks.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 7:34 AM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 8:37 AM in response to samos3

The usual method for encrypting a hard drive relies on software installed on the computer (such as TrueCrypt or Apple's FileVault).

You're looking for something that runs on both Windows and Mac (which is difficult without using something like Java, which might not be installed). It would have to be on an unencrypted part of the disk (so it can be read), and then you would have the remainder of the disk encrypted.

If you just want a Mac solution, then the best way is to create a .dmg disk image that is encrypted with a password. If you want true cross-platform, then you might be better off storing on a Cloud server and downloading when you need them, wherever you are.

How to put password on flash drive ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.