Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd power issue with MBP Early 2011 13"

Greetings.

I have a MBP that will only boot when the Magsafe cable is attached AND the battery is removed or at less than 100% - the power button is completely unresponsive.

The problem started with a failing battery that had swelled to the point of making the click pad unusable. Towards the end of the life of this battery the MBP would fail to hibernate if the battery ran out, and upon being rebooted the computer would have reset it's clock to December 2001 and have forgotten recent additions to passes in the keychain.

This battery eventually failed (I presume) - leading to a computer that was completely unresponsive to the power button. I removed the battery, which led to the first instance of the computer only booting when connected to a power source. If the computer (now without battery) was connected to a power source, (which in turn leads it to boot up), then turned off again, the only way to reboot the computer was to physically disconnect and reconnect the Magsafe adapter.
I ordered a replacement battery and installed it, the problem of booting only by connection to power persisted. A novel twist was that when the battery is fully charged and displaying a green light the MPB will not boot at all when the magsafe is connected - the battery must be removed or at below 100% charge.

During normal operation (such as now) the power button remains completely unresponsive. A short press will not bring up the option to shutdown / sleep my computer and a long press will not perform a hard shut down, as per normal operation.

I've attempted to reset the SMC following Apple's instructions (found here - Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)) several times, to no effect, with the battery removed and with a working battery installed. Perhaps of note is that the times I've tried the SMC reset I've never experienced the LED on the Magsafe changing states or temporarily turning off.

Really stumped as to what's going on here - any takers?

Cheers, Will.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 9:04 AM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 9:09 AM in response to mrwillvincent

Perhaps also of note;

The majority of times the computer is safely turned off and then rebooted by reconnecting the Magsafe, I'm presented with a message telling me the computer's date is set to December 2001. The likelihood of this happening seems determined by how long the computer had been resting before being rebooted with the Magsafe.

Is this in anyway damaging the computer - should I be attempting to minimise how frequently I turn on the computer using this method?

Odd power issue with MBP Early 2011 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.