Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

badpage.org ? browser redirects (Safari and Chrome)

Hello, i am running Maverick on a 2011 Macbook Pro
This
just started during the last week, in both Safari and Chrome
If my connection is even a little slow, I have had a major problem with a redirect to badpage.org.
If I refresh the good link 2-15 times, eventually I get the page I was looking for, so it was NOT a Bad page

the http://badpage.org/ site says (including the mispelling of “applictaion”;

Oooops
this is a bad page and does not exist !
* one of the softwares you installed has our bundle applictaion and once you visit a badpage we show a custom bad page
* one of our affiliates is redirecting your bad pages to our badpage.org custom bad page

I can not find a solution, so any help is appriciated

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:52 AM

From the menu bar, select

▹ System Preferences... ▹ Network ▹ Advanced... ▹ DNS

Under DNS Servers you should have one or more numerical addresses, such as “192.168.1.1” or “10.0.0.1”. What are those addresses?

9 replies

Jul 12, 2014 9:41 AM in response to CruzinCostaRica

Back up all data.

Unlock the Network preference pane, if necessary, by clicking the lock icon in the lower left corner and entering your password. Cllck Advanced, open the DNS tab, and change the server addresses to the following:

That's Google DNS. Click OK, then Apply.

In Safari, select

Safari ▹ Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If you’re using another browser, empty the cache. Test. Any difference?

Notes:

1. If you lose Internet access after making the above change to your network settings, delete the Google servers in theNetwork preference pane, then select the TCP/IP tab and click Renew DHCP Lease. That should restore the original DNS settings; otherwise restore them yourself. Remember that you must click Apply in order for any changes to take effect.

2. I don't use Google DNS myself, though I have tested it, and I'm not recommending it or any other DNS provider; the server addresses are offered merely for testing purposes. There may be privacy and technical issues involved in using that service, which you should investigate personally before you decide whether to keep the settings. Other public DNS services exist.

Jul 12, 2014 4:39 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hi Linc, update a few hours after the initial "test" fix you recommended. Thanks again

I left things on the new "test" Google settings until just now, only now have gone back to the default

Been running fine all day, have not had the Badpage.org redirects once

been running on the old default settings now for 15 min, so far everything fine in both Safari and Chrome

Drew, No other computers the last few days, just my MBP and my iPhone, and my iPhone has not had any related bad page.org redirects

I will repost tomorrow to close the thread.

Thanks for the help, you want to know anything about Costa Rica, I'm your guy :-)

Ray

Jul 13, 2014 6:19 AM in response to CruzinCostaRica

Hi Linc, Sunday morning, and after changing back to 192.168.1.1, I started getting the bad page.org redirects
So I immediately (sat night late) cleaned the browsers again, and reset the Google "test"dns of:

and everything is working ok last night and 2 hrs this morning of browsing with no redirects.

So, what should I do now ? Is it my router hacked? a problem with my Internet provider?

Thanks again.

Ray

Jul 13, 2014 9:27 AM in response to CruzinCostaRica

Do other devices see the same behaviour when they use the same DNS settings?

192.168.1.1 seems like it is your router (but it may be another device on the local network). That will forward DNS to an external server, which may be the one provided by the ISP.

Can you access the router settings to see if it set to use a specific DNS server? Post that here.

I have no idea on what Linc Davis will suggest next, he never explains anything even when asked. Personally I'd start checking by that the router is actually at 192.168.1.1.

Then consider checking if the router is hacked by taking the effected device onto another network…

http://www.thesafemac.com/how-to-manage-a-hacked-wireless-router/

I'd also follow the other steps there to see if the ISP's DNS is causing this.

badpage.org ? browser redirects (Safari and Chrome)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.