Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library locked?

I just tried to access my iPhoto and it tells me that it is on a locked volume. I just upgraded to 10.9.4 and it accessed the library on 10.9.3 so is this something to do with the upgrade? My iPhoto library is so large that I can't keep it on my MBA so I have it on an external HD (along with my iTunes). The external HD is not locked. What is happening here?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:42 AM

This issue can be caused by sharing the photo library on a network (against Apple's advice) or by opening it in more than one local user account at the same time. You may be able to clear the error by logging out or restarting the computer. If not, do as follows.

Quit iPhoto if it's running, locally or on any file-sharing client. Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder. Usually it's in the Pictures folder, but you may have moved it somewhere else. Right-click or control-click the library icon and select

Show Package Contents

from the popup menu. In the folder that opens, navigate to

Database/apdb/lockfile.pid

and move that file, if it exists, to the Trash. Close the Finder window.

Credit for this observation to ASC member Elijahg.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 8:42 AM in response to SlippySlope

This issue can be caused by sharing the photo library on a network (against Apple's advice) or by opening it in more than one local user account at the same time. You may be able to clear the error by logging out or restarting the computer. If not, do as follows.

Quit iPhoto if it's running, locally or on any file-sharing client. Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder. Usually it's in the Pictures folder, but you may have moved it somewhere else. Right-click or control-click the library icon and select

Show Package Contents

from the popup menu. In the folder that opens, navigate to

Database/apdb/lockfile.pid

and move that file, if it exists, to the Trash. Close the Finder window.

Credit for this observation to ASC member Elijahg.

iPhoto library locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.