Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newbie worries about Numbers

I've used Excel since the days of Lotus 1*2*3 and looking to switch to Numbers as it seems more cost efficient. My question is Numbers a pretty stable program? Do I have to worry about it crashing and losing my files? I loaded an Excel files in Numbers and saved it. Does it now have a Numbers extension? Can I take this file to work and load it back into Excel?

I've always felt assured that Excel works and my files are safe. Can I feel the same about Numbers?

Thank you,

Patrick

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:56 AM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Pat Bowa

Hi Patrick,

I loaded an Excel files in Numbers and saved it. Does it now have a Numbers extension?

Yes. It is now a Numbers document.

Can I take this file to work and load it back into Excel?

No. Excel will not open Numbers documents.

You must first export from Numbers back to Excel.

In Numbers 3.2,

User uploaded file

Be aware that Numbers is not an Excel clone. Continued to and fro between Numbers and Excel will build up gremlins.

If your income depends upon these documents, and your clients are using Excel, consider buying Excel for Mac or obtain one of the free look-alikes such as libre office.

Then have fun with Numbers where it doesn't affect your career.

Regards,

Ian.

Edit: P.S. to answer your question: is Numbers stable? Yes, it is on its own.

But I have a heck of a time fixing up glitches in Excel documents that people send me. Not always the fault of the Excel app, but often the "Excel" way of thinking by the authors of those documents. I spent four hours today cleaning up an Excel document that would have been so simple to construct in Numbers.

Ian.

Newbie worries about Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.