Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update or install from App Store although I can purchase apps

I can purchase apps in App Store but I can't update them or actually install them through the store, I just get a little spinning whirylgig next to the go back or forward page icons.

I have run disk utility and I restarted.

I am on OS X 10.7.5

Any suggestions??

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 11:11 AM

Make sure when you update apps you are signed in using the same Apple ID used for the original downloads.

Beyond that ...

Disable anti virus softwrare if installed

Check your firewall settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

Make sure Gatekeeper is enabled

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Make sure either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and identified developers is selected. If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to proceed.

OS X: About Gatekeeper

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 11:11 AM in response to aLilyWithThorns

Make sure when you update apps you are signed in using the same Apple ID used for the original downloads.

Beyond that ...

Disable anti virus softwrare if installed

Check your firewall settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options

Make sure Gatekeeper is enabled

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy then select the General tab.

Make sure either Mac App Store or Mac App Store and identified developers is selected. If that area is grayed out, click the padlock icon to proceed.

OS X: About Gatekeeper

Jul 12, 2014 12:53 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I checked everything you mentioned and still the App Store would/could not update or install.

So I got a little bold and deleted the App Store app completely. Then went into Time Machine and restored the app from the last date I remembered using it without a problem (July 1). And now it works.

Hopefully I didn't mess something else up by doing that, so far all my purchases are still there so fingers crossed I'm good to go.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate you took the time!

Can't update or install from App Store although I can purchase apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.