Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery/Disk Utility/Verifying Partition

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

My 1 year old started typing away as I booted up my laptop yesterday morning (MacBook Pro). Somehow she sent me into Recovery Mode and I can't get out. I haven't used Time Machine, I can't reinstall osx via the internet because my backup harddrive is the only one visible, and now (not initially) when I try to verify in Disk Utility so that I can back up via external drive the partition (disk0s2) has errors. I foolishly tried to find answers and terminal command fixes so I don't know if I've irreparable caused damage that way. The errors I receive when I try to verify and fix the partition: invalid content in journal; invalid b-tree node sizes; volume could not be verified completely; invalid content in journal; error: disk utility can't repair disk... M'aidez!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 8:46 AM

9 replies

Jul 12, 2014 11:28 AM in response to dwbrecovery

When I reboot this way (holding down Shift) I do get returned to Recovery Mode. In Disk Utility, here are the drives listed:

500.11 GB Apple HDD...Media

disk0s2

HL-DT-ST DVDRW

------------

disk1

OS X Base System

disk0s2 can't be verified...I get these errors when I try to verify or repair:

Invalid content in Journal

Invalide b-tree node sizes

volume could not be verified completely

invalid content in journal

error: disk utility can't repair disk

Jul 13, 2014 6:13 AM in response to KateMadeline

The best chances of salvaging data is to take the HDD out of the MBP, connect it to another Mac and see if it will be recognized. If so, then you may be able to copy data to a healthy HDD. If not, then perhaps some third party recovery software might help. Failing that, engaging a data recover firm would have to be employed. That is expensive with NO guarantees of any degree of success.

Ciao.

Recovery/Disk Utility/Verifying Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.