Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reverted to old os, CPU usage is slow

I couldn't stand how Mavericks was slowing down my computer in general and especially on some programs, so I used a Time Machine back up that I had done right before I upgraded to revert back. I was using Inkscape on Mavericks and it kept crashing and working extremely slow.

I did the reverting by first creating a back up on Time Machine that morning, restarting and doing a "recovery" to select a backup I had done two months ago right before I installed Mavericks.

My computer seemed much faster at first. I was using Inkscape now with no problem; no crashing, able to move, filter, change etc without waiting much at all. In general, the computer was faster. Until using Firefox. I tried updating that to see if it helps.. I noticed though before updating Firefox, that the CPU usage is extremely high and that when Time Machine wanted to back up again it was doing 137GB instead of about 50GB (amount it took the last Time Machine backed up right before I reverted while still using Mavericks). Also, the system memory used is more than what it used to be as well. Was there something I was supposed to clear out/delete to get rid of Mavericks?

Is there anyway to "clean" up the files from Maverick but still access documents I created while using Mavericks? Will doing any of this help speed up my computer?

My computer is a Macbook Pro 13in, early 2011, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, OS Version 10.7.5

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 9:06 AM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2014 6:45 PM in response to sburnyay

As far as system memory is concerned, you can use Memory Clean https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-clean/id451444120?mt=12 to purge your memory. It shows you how much is being used, wired, compressed, etc.

Is Firefox the only culprit when it comes to CPU usage? Some people have reported the Dock is a process hog in lion.

Time machine, especially if on a new machine (it would consider a fresh install new) might take a long time to create an initial backup. This would take place if you formatted your backup drive after restoring it onto your lion install. If I understand correctly, you're saying that you created a backup when you still had lion installed and when you wanted to revert from mavericks you restored from that same backup?

You might not be able to access files from mavericks, unless you're referring to 'mavericks' as a separate partition on your hard drive that still has mavericks installed in addition to having lion on another partition.

Or is 'mavericks' your external hd that has files you created in mavericks stored as a time machine backup?

Jul 14, 2014 9:41 AM in response to imsreish

imsreish wrote:

As far as system memory is concerned, you can use Memory Clean https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-clean/id451444120?mt=12 to purge your memory. It shows you how much is being used, wired, compressed, etc.

I downloaded this and tried it out, but no real big difference seen.

Is Firefox the only culprit when it comes to CPU usage? Some people have reported the Dock is a process hog in lion.

Chrome, Safari, web browsers seem to be hogs. Pages wasn't. iPhoto was... ???

Time machine, especially if on a new machine (it would consider a fresh install new) might take a long time to create an initial backup. This would take place if you formatted your backup drive after restoring it onto your lion install. If I understand correctly, you're saying that you created a backup when you still had lion installed and when you wanted to revert from mavericks you restored from that same backup?

I used a back up from beginning of May when I did Recovery Mode on Friday. It then made another backup after I reverted using Recovery Mode. So, I created a backup when I had Lion installed and then reverted to that when I wanted to get rid of Mavericks.

You might not be able to access files from mavericks, unless you're referring to 'mavericks' as a separate partition on your hard drive that still has mavericks installed in addition to having lion on another partition.

I'm not sure if my hard drive still has Mavericks or not. And I'm afraid that I have to admit I don't know how to find out. 🙂

Or is 'mavericks' your external hd that has files you created in mavericks stored as a time machine backup?

I created a back up Friday morning when I was still using Mavericks right before I reverted. Is there a way to access those personal documents that I had created between May and July?

Do I just need to throw in the towel and admit my Mac is done? I'd had a Dell laptop before that and it lasted 3.5 years before it got slow and unbearable. I was hoping my Mac would do better. I'd hate to admit that it seems to have the same lifespan. Would it be any good to completely erase the Mac and start "fresh" again?

Jul 14, 2014 10:39 AM in response to sburnyay

Mavericks will result in an overall improvement to your Mac's performance relative to Lion. Don't waste time with useless apps such as "memory clean". Find out what's wrong with your Mac and fix it.

More information is required. If you don't know where to start consider running EtreCheck and posting its results as explained below. It will provide a quick summary of your system configuration, to preclude the need for a dozen time-consuming questions.None of what follows is intended to fix anything, but it will provide the additional information required to advance troubleshooting.

There are five separate parts to it; please consider everything and reply with your results. The prerequisite (Part 0) is labeled that way because it is more important than anything else.

Part 0

The first task you must do is to satisfy yourself that you have adequate, reliable backups, since what you describe may presage an impending disk failure. If you value the data on your Mac, you should have backups even if everything is working normally.

Part 1

Boot OS X Recovery by holding and r (two fingers) while you start your Mac. At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, select Disk Utility. Select your startup volume (usually named "Macintosh HD") and click the Repair Disk button. Describe any errors it reports in red. If Disk Utility reports "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK" in green then you can be reasonably (though not completely) assured your hard disk is in good working order.

When it finishes restart your Mac and test again for operation. If it's still not behaving as you expect it should, please post the results of EtreCheck in accordance with the next step.

Part 2

Apple Support Communities contributor etresoft wrote a very useful app to quickly gather certain system information that may help point to a cause of this problem. Read about it here. It contains a link to download EtreCheck. Don't download it from anywhere else (such as may be found by following the results of an Internet search).

Copy and paste its output in a reply.

Do not be concerned about anything that says "Problem" or “failed” or anything else that may appear in red.

EtreCheck was designed to remove any personal information (such as your computer's name and serial numbers) but if you see anything that looks like an email address or any other personal information that should not be divulged to others, please delete or obscure that information when you post the reply.

When you are finished with EtreCheck, quit the program. It occupies very little space, and you can keep it or drag it to the Trash as you wish.

Part 3

Please determine if the problems also occur in "Safe Mode":

• Safe Mode or "Safe Boot" is a troubleshooting mode that bypasses all third party system extensions and loads only required system components. Read about it: Starting up in Safe Mode
  • You must disable FileVault before you can start your Mac in Safe Mode.
  • Starting your Mac in Safe Mode will take longer than usual, graphics will not render smoothly, audio is disabled on some Macs, and some programs (iTunes for example) may not work at all.
  • Merely starting your Mac in Safe Mode is not intended to resolve the problem, it's to observe its performance without certain additional components.
  • To end Safe Mode restart your Mac normally. Shutdown will take longer as well.

Part 4

System performance problems for reasons that cannot be isolated to any other cause justify an SMC reset. Be sure to read the procedure carefully and follow all the steps exactly as written, even if they seem inapplicable or trivial.

Reverted to old os, CPU usage is slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.