Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) display goes unexpectedly fuzzy and distorted.

Hi all,

The specs for my Macbook Pro can be found here MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications. The only difference is that I have upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB and added a 750GB Hard Drive to it.

I am currently running OS X 10.8.5 on it.

The problem is that the following happens every now and again and it is very bizarre and hard to capture because it often only occurs for a second or 2:

User uploaded file

Things that I *THINK* might be spurring it on as such:

• Applications that use the graphics card in some way, i.e. above, when on Facebook on Google Chrome - I don't think I've seen this occur when, say, I've just been on the desktop.
  • Definitely when watching videos i.e. on YouTube

I can't give much more in terms of troubleshooting, it was hard enough to get this screenshot, but it happens a few times a day and I can't just sit waiting to get another screenshot.

Anyone else has this issue/have any idea what this could be, or what could be causing it?

Much appreciated,

Adam

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 10:12 AM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 11:13 AM in response to ADJB

There are known issues with the graphics hardware in your model:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010): Intermittent black screen or loss of video

Although the program that repaired it has probably expired for you, first you need to get it to an Apple Store or authorized service provider for evaluation to verify the issue. It could be something else, especially considering that only parts of the page you show are affected.

Jul 12, 2014 11:15 AM in response to ADJB

This shot reminds me of old TV signal interference in the old days when someone turned on an appliance in the kitchen whilst someone else was trying to watch a show in the living room. Some questions that might help wiser folks than I trouble shoot - does this ever happen when you are doing something graphics intensive that does NOT involve the internet? Did this start after you replaced your HD? Have you run a hardware test yet?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) display goes unexpectedly fuzzy and distorted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.