Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fail to upgrade Ipad2 IOS

I am trying to upgrade my ipad2's IOS from 4.3 to 7.0.. connected my ipad to laptop windows7 and ran itune..when hit the "Update" button under the "summary tab", it always go to my computer's C:\Users\username\Documents folder and search for ipad sw.

network connectivity tests passed.

Active Connection: LAN Connection

Connected: Yes

Online: Yes

Using Modem: No

Using LAN: Yes

Using Proxy: No

Firewall Information

Windows Firewall is on.

iTunes is enabled in Windows Firewall.

Connection attempt to Apple web site was successful.

Connection attempt to browsing iTunes Store was successful.

Connection attempt to purchasing from iTunes Store was successful.

Connection attempt to iPhone activation server was successful.

Connection attempt to firmware update server was successful.

Connection attempt to Gracenote server was successful.

Last successful iTunes Store access was 2014-07-12 13:10:32.

anybody know what is going on and how to fix the issue?

thanks

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 10:13 AM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2014 10:53 AM in response to nelson_yin

It should only do that, as far as I know, if you are pressing and holding the shift button on your keyboard when clicking 'Check For Updates' - that allows you to navigate and use a previously downloaded copy of the .IPSW file. You have an up-to-date version of iTunes installed on your computer, and you've tried rebooting your computer ?

(Your first line says that you trying to update to 7.0, you can only update to the highest iOS version that a device supports, which for an iPad 2 is 7.1.2)

Jul 12, 2014 12:57 PM in response to nelson_yin

An iPad 2 can be updated to iOS 7.1.2 (and will support iOS 8 when it's released in the Autumn).

The laptop that you are using is your own e.g. it's not a work computer where iTunes has been restricted ?

The only thing that I've so far found means modifying the registry (which I wouldn't really advise unless you are happy doing that sort of thing) : Windows OS Managed Client: How to manage iTunes control features

The bottom of that page has :

For example, if you want to disable the Check for Device Updates, you should set the AdminFlags registry value to 0x40000000 (i.e. kParentalFlags_Locked | kParentalFlags_DisableCheckForAppUpdates).

So it's possible that it's currently disabled e.g. it sounds like you might want the reverse of : Disabling "Check for Updates" via registry

But I'd suggest asking in the iTunes For Windows forum on here (this forum is for questions about iTunes U) and see if they have a simpler fix.

fail to upgrade Ipad2 IOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.