Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Persistence on iMac 27" (late 2013) IPS LCD

Our company just bought a custom ordered iMac 27 in. I was on vacation for one week, so by the time I noticed severe and rapid image persistence on gray backgrounds, we were past the 14 day return window. So we pursued this issue under warranty and took it to an Apple Store. Our IT guy showed them photos of the major persistent images (distinct green ghosts of prior screen content as viewed on a gray desktop. They kept the iMac for further testing for several days. Their report said "unable to replicate the problem." Several techs were involved. Really? This well known IPS image persistence issue? Yes, that seems to be the stock answer. So next I contact Apple Support online for a live chat, describing how it only takes 5 minutes to get strong persistent images, and even uploaded a photo of our chat session screen, now burned into the display! I was advised to take it to another Apple Certified repair store for essentially a second opinion. This is really aggravating because this is a business computer used in daily marketing activities, including constant use of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, FCPX, and more, often for extended periods of time. Once we get a strong persistent image, it does not require dwelling on a gray desktop – simply opening an image will reveal the persistence if it contains darker areas. It makes critical graphics work difficult when you see distinct variations in lighting over a work in progress.

I have the same identical iMac at home and it does not have any image persistence. It was purchased early January 2014.

Has anyone with similar IPS LCD issues succeeded in getting a replacement iMac or the screen replaced beyond the 14 day return window while under warranty? If so, how much effort did it take and how long were you without your computer? I feel it should be replaced when this issue only takes 5-10 minutes dwelling on a screen to cause the persistent image. Yet, this is a business computer that sees much daily use, so it is difficult to be without it. I feel stuck in this dilemma. Apple seems like they are purposely making it difficult for consumers to demand a replacement, especially with their published articles on how to remove the persistent image. But we can't stop work every 5 minutes to run a white page screen saver. It's in use for 8-10 hours straight every day.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 10:53 AM

2 replies

Image Persistence on iMac 27" (late 2013) IPS LCD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.