Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apply TV airplay HELP!!!

Hi,

I have the latest version of OS X 10.9.4, I just bought Apple tv 3 but I am not able to find the airplay icon anywhere neither to mirrrow the screen or to share the laptop...

I have done the turn on the home sharing on my laptop via itunes, but I am lost... any help will be very appreciated!!

Thanking you all in advance!!

D

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 10:54 AM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2014 12:12 PM in response to dakrd

Is your Mac compatible?

AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring when using OS X Mountain Lion or later:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X

Jul 12, 2014 12:16 PM in response to dakrd

AirPlay and Home Sharing are two different things. As Alley_Cat says, AirPlay has restrictions, but to see content from your laptop iTunes, you need to share it on your local network, and then configure the ATV3 to use the same Apple ID and turn on Home sharing as well.

AirPlay will let you "mirror" what is happening on the screen (including audio) on the Macs, but sharing/streaming content is the domain of Home Sharing.

Jul 12, 2014 2:50 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks Alley_Cat and Loner T,

Thanks for your answers

My Macbook pro is compatible, mid 2012, so in theory is ok. The main issue is that when going to settings, display the box "show mirroring options in the menu bar when available" is clicked but the drop down menu says "no device detected".

I know the apple tv is working as i can used it and mirror ipads and iphones...

In regards to home sharing, the message I have on the tv screen is that i have to share on itunes, that i have done it but still it does not recognise the macbook...

I am missing something? should I call apple?(if they have a help desk?)

Thanks in advance

D

Jul 12, 2014 4:29 PM in response to dakrd

You want to ensure that the ATV and iTunes use the same Apple ID. You have to enable it on both devices.

For AirPlay, Bonjour discovery should work. Is the ATV connected via ethernet or wifi? My guess is wifi, because the iPad/iPhone should connect over wifi and can see the ATV. Is the MBP connected via ethernet or WiFi? If the ATV connects via ethernet to the rest of the network, does the MBP detect the ATV when connected to the same switch/router?.

If you use something made by Netgear, it does network segmentation depending on what you use. You can use a Bonjour browser to see devices on the network. If you want to use something like packet captures, you can try Wireshark.

Do you have a firewall application on the MBP? Look under System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Firewall Tab for Apples, or if you have third-party software, look at their UI.

Apply TV airplay HELP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.