Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing an old emac

I have a 2002 vintage eMac that I am planning to donate to a local school. However I need to pack it up until schools starts. The box I have is not wide enough to simply place the computer in it but would work if I put it in with the screen side down.

Is there any reason not to do this for a couple of months? I will of course protect the screen from being scratched, but what about the innards of the computer? Will anything be harmed by its being placed in such a position?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 11:42 AM

Hi Maty,

As long as it is not turned on, I don't think you will have an issue. Be sure to eject any disks in the optical drive before powering down.

However, there is another action you can take that will help the school. Removing the "PRAM" battery before storing will help avoid problems when the school sets it up this fall. Here are Apple's instructions for accessing the battery:

eMac: How to Replace the Backup Battery

If the battery has never been replaced, I'd toss it and buy a new one. Such batteries are seldom working after 3-5 years anyway. However, don't install the new one until you actual deliver the computer to the school--that way the battery will be at full power. Tape the new one to the outside of the case or the box so it doesn't get lost. I buy those batteries online here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAA36VPRAM/

If you opt for the US Postal Service delivery option, I think OWC won't charge shipping. Even if they do charge, it is still cheaper than buying from the only retail source I know--Radio Shack. RS have the same battery as part number 23-026 but charge over US$15 for it and you have to drive to the store.

Hope this helps,

Allan

eMac USB 2.0 2005 1.42 gHz; 2GB RAM; Mac OS 10.5.8

eMac 2002 700mHz; 768MB RAM; mac OS 10.4.11

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 11:42 AM in response to MaryRB

Hi Maty,

As long as it is not turned on, I don't think you will have an issue. Be sure to eject any disks in the optical drive before powering down.

However, there is another action you can take that will help the school. Removing the "PRAM" battery before storing will help avoid problems when the school sets it up this fall. Here are Apple's instructions for accessing the battery:

eMac: How to Replace the Backup Battery

If the battery has never been replaced, I'd toss it and buy a new one. Such batteries are seldom working after 3-5 years anyway. However, don't install the new one until you actual deliver the computer to the school--that way the battery will be at full power. Tape the new one to the outside of the case or the box so it doesn't get lost. I buy those batteries online here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAA36VPRAM/

If you opt for the US Postal Service delivery option, I think OWC won't charge shipping. Even if they do charge, it is still cheaper than buying from the only retail source I know--Radio Shack. RS have the same battery as part number 23-026 but charge over US$15 for it and you have to drive to the store.

Hope this helps,

Allan

eMac USB 2.0 2005 1.42 gHz; 2GB RAM; Mac OS 10.5.8

eMac 2002 700mHz; 768MB RAM; mac OS 10.4.11

Jul 12, 2014 12:12 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Allan, this is the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Funny you should mention the PRAM battery because I saw a reference to it in another post when I was searching for an answer to my question. To my knowledge that battery has never been replaced in my eMac, which means it has been good for 12 years. I did notice when I first turned it on again after not using it for a while that the date and time needed to be reset, but since I did that and have been using it (cleaning out my personal files and updating the software) it has not needed to be reset again. I guess, like many things, they don't make them to last any more.

I appreciate the links to locating and replacing the battery. I will take care of that before I donate the computer. Thanks again for your help.

Jul 12, 2014 1:22 PM in response to MaryRB

Glad that helped!

To my knowledge that battery has never been replaced in my eMac, which means it has been good for 12 years.

As long as the computer stays of wall power, the battery does no work and can last a long time. Even if the battery is totally dead, neither you or the computer know it because, with the computer off but plugged in, wall power lets a trickle of current around the power supply to maintain all the settings the battery is designed to maintain. People usually discover a dead battery after unplugging the computer to move it or work on it after it's been on wall power for a very long time. I often find them after a power outage.

Forgot to mention: if you have the original gray system install/restore disks that came with the eMac, try digging them out so the school has them. They have utilities not always available elsewhere that can help with troubleshooting should that become necessary in the future.

Jul 12, 2014 2:01 PM in response to Allan Jones

So my battery probably is dead and the computer is keeping time from being plugged in - good to know. I was going to pull the battery anyway but now I know I have to replace it.

I'm glad you mentioned the original install disks. I do have them - they are for OS X 10.1.4! I also have the disks for OS X 10.3, which I installed after I wiped the hard drive and then upgraded to 10.3.9. That's as far as I can go because this eMac only has a CD drive and apparently 10.4 came on DVDs. (At least that's all I've found on Amazon and eBay.) You must have "heard" me wondering whether I needed to keep the older ones - thanks for the tip.

Once again the Apple community has been a great help. Thanks for responding so promptly and for sharing your expertise.

Jul 13, 2014 1:11 PM in response to MaryRB

I just replaced my PRAM battery in my eMac 2 weeks ago... found the battery on Amazon for under $6 at Amazon (link below). Note: if your eMac turns on but the screen does not appear to work (black screen), you need to reset the PMU. There is a button next to the PRAM battery. Push it once. Then when you restart the eMac the screen will work fine. You should also reset this when you replace the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GJSQPO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&p sc=1

Jul 13, 2014 2:04 PM in response to Thrifty One

Thanks for the additional battery source. I checked Amazon but wasn't sure what they showed was the same battery as Allan Jones mentioned, so I went ahead and ordered from the site he listed. But I appreciate knowing I can also get them at Amazon, especially since I have an Amazon Prime membership which saves on shipping.

So far my eMac still turns on OK - no black screen - but I will remember this and pass it on when I donate the computer.

Storing an old emac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.