Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I turn off the "spoken menu" feature of ipod nano?

I have a 7th generation ipod nano. Halfway into a workout, a woman's voice will come on and disrupt the music I am listening to by announcing the name of the song over and over, the artist, all of my playlists, etc. I assume this is because of condensation accumulating within my arm band activating the spoken menu feature, which I cant really do much about. Is there any way to disable this spoken menu, voice over feature, so that it doesn't get automatically activated for whatever reason. I cant seem to find a spoken menu feature within settings, but it's really annoying.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 1:14 PM

Hi wfjones,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Below is a link to the iPod Nano User Manual. The VoiceOver feature is explained on page 49-51.

iPod Nano 7th Gen User Manual - Using Voiceover - Page 49

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1624/en_US/ipod_nano_user_guide.pdf

Set up VoiceOver on iPod nano:

1 Connect EarPods or headphones to iPod nano.

2 On the Home screen, tap Settings, then tap General.

3 Tap Accessibility.

4 Tap VoiceOver, then set any of these options:

••

Speak Hints: Explains how to interact with the item in the VoiceOver cursor. You may want to turn this on to help you learn how to use iPod nano, and turn it off later.

••

Speaking Rate: Increases or decreases the rate of speech for VoiceOver. This does not affect the speech rate for audiobooks or podcasts.

••

Language: Sets the language for VoiceOver. It should match the language set for iPod nano.

5 Tap to turn VoiceOver On/Off

If this is the first time you turned on VoiceOver on iPod nano, a dialog appears.

6 Tap OK in the dialog, then double-tap OK to confirm.

If you can’t see the screen, move your finger until you hear “OK button,” then double-tap with one finger.

If you do nothing for 15 seconds, the dialog disappears and VoiceOver turns off.

When VoiceOver is on, you use a different set of gestures to control iPod nano. If you change your mind and want to turn VoiceOver off, double-tap with two fingers to move the switch to Off. If you navigate away from the Settings screen, you need to use VoiceOver gestures to return to the setting and turn it off.

Quickly activating accessibility features

You can set iPod nano to switch Invert Colors or VoiceOver off and on when you press the Home button three times. This makes it easier to share iPod nano with another person who doesn’t need the same features.

Turn on the accessibility shortcut:

1 On the Home screen, tap Settings > General.

2 Tap Accessibility.

3 Tap Triple-click Home, then tap one of the options.

Cheers,

- Judy

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 1:14 PM in response to wfjones

Hi wfjones,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Below is a link to the iPod Nano User Manual. The VoiceOver feature is explained on page 49-51.

iPod Nano 7th Gen User Manual - Using Voiceover - Page 49

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1624/en_US/ipod_nano_user_guide.pdf

Set up VoiceOver on iPod nano:

1 Connect EarPods or headphones to iPod nano.

2 On the Home screen, tap Settings, then tap General.

3 Tap Accessibility.

4 Tap VoiceOver, then set any of these options:

••

Speak Hints: Explains how to interact with the item in the VoiceOver cursor. You may want to turn this on to help you learn how to use iPod nano, and turn it off later.

••

Speaking Rate: Increases or decreases the rate of speech for VoiceOver. This does not affect the speech rate for audiobooks or podcasts.

••

Language: Sets the language for VoiceOver. It should match the language set for iPod nano.

5 Tap to turn VoiceOver On/Off

If this is the first time you turned on VoiceOver on iPod nano, a dialog appears.

6 Tap OK in the dialog, then double-tap OK to confirm.

If you can’t see the screen, move your finger until you hear “OK button,” then double-tap with one finger.

If you do nothing for 15 seconds, the dialog disappears and VoiceOver turns off.

When VoiceOver is on, you use a different set of gestures to control iPod nano. If you change your mind and want to turn VoiceOver off, double-tap with two fingers to move the switch to Off. If you navigate away from the Settings screen, you need to use VoiceOver gestures to return to the setting and turn it off.

Quickly activating accessibility features

You can set iPod nano to switch Invert Colors or VoiceOver off and on when you press the Home button three times. This makes it easier to share iPod nano with another person who doesn’t need the same features.

Turn on the accessibility shortcut:

1 On the Home screen, tap Settings > General.

2 Tap Accessibility.

3 Tap Triple-click Home, then tap one of the options.

Cheers,

- Judy

How do I turn off the "spoken menu" feature of ipod nano?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.