Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing iphone as a drive on Mac

When I connect my iphone or ipad to my PC computer, I can view them both as drives through Windows Explorer. When I do the same to my Mac Mini, I cannot find a way to view them as drives. Is there a way to view these two items as drives on a Mac? I'd like to be able to access the files on the devices without having to download them to the computer.

Thank you.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 12:16 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 2:16 PM in response to gmaries25

No.

The iPad and iPhone does not present a USB disk interface to computers.

While I do not have a Windows system, I suspect that all you are seeing is the media library (pictures, music, videos, ...), not the entire iPad or iPhone storage. And I'm thinking this is via special software that makes the media library API's look like a mounted file system. The iPhone/iPad does not do that directly.

If I guessed wrong about what storage Windows is showing you, please correct my misunderstanding.

"iTunes", "iPhoto", and the "Image Capture" apps (plus 3rd party photo apps) can access the iPad and iPhone. "Preview" -> File -> Import, can get things from your iPhone/iPad photo library.

In doing some Google research, I found iExplorer for the Mac <http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/download-ie3-mac.php> that effectively does the same thing as iTunes, iPhoto, Image Capture, Preview more or less. I'm sure there are other utilities similar to iExplorer available.

Viewing iphone as a drive on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.