Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrives supported by 10.4.11?

I want to install a slim (laptop) dual layer internal SuperDrive DVD burner in my Pismo PowerBook. Is there a list of drives that are fully supported by 10.4.11, especially the OSX DVD Player application which got broken for the original Pismo DVD drive with Apple's last OSX update. It seems to work fine in 10.4.11 right up until that last update is added, then it doesn't work anymore. The app says it won't start because no supported DVD drive is found, even though it's got the original Apple DVD drive that has always worked. No idea why this is. Ever since the last update I've had to boot into OS9 to watch a DVD.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 2:27 PM

4 replies

Jul 20, 2014 3:29 AM in response to Scott Cook

You may contact such vendors of product such as OWC/macsales.com & others with inventory

to include update and upgrade hardware for a variety of newer to older, to near obsolete Macs

and other Apple gear, to see what they say about that kind of replacement upgrade.

Other companies who repair portable Mac computers have inventory, some sell to the public

and others may choose to supply non-retail interests. Another place to check by email or by

phone may be wegenermedia.com -- as they sell & repair Mac, & have many official parts.

Many of the reputable sources have a real address, in addition to a web presence; and

personnel who know the product, and Apple gear. You can call, write, email, etc.

Finding OEM supplied exact replacements may be difficult, while later backward-compatible

one may still be available through repair and upgrade channels who deal with vintage gear.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

SuperDrives supported by 10.4.11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.