Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad goes to home screen all the time!

This is starting to happen way too often... Whats up?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 5:28 PM

The iPad is crashing for some reason. Maybe an app conflict, maybe corrupt files, perhaps lack of memory - although the iOS is supposed to handle memory issues automatically, but IMHO that isn't always the way it works.

I would start with clearing Safari, closing all apps, resetting the iPad and see how it goes for a while, if that doesn't help at all, the next thing I would do is respect the entire process but before resetting the iPad, reset all settings, no data will be lost, but all device settings will have to be re-entered. I have no idea which iOS version you are running, but this covers 5, 6 and 7.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data.

In order to close apps in iOS 5 or iOS 6, first tap the home button once. Then tap the home button twice and the recents tray will appear at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Tap the home button twice.

In order to close apps in iOS 7, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 5:28 PM in response to Holly H2

The iPad is crashing for some reason. Maybe an app conflict, maybe corrupt files, perhaps lack of memory - although the iOS is supposed to handle memory issues automatically, but IMHO that isn't always the way it works.

I would start with clearing Safari, closing all apps, resetting the iPad and see how it goes for a while, if that doesn't help at all, the next thing I would do is respect the entire process but before resetting the iPad, reset all settings, no data will be lost, but all device settings will have to be re-entered. I have no idea which iOS version you are running, but this covers 5, 6 and 7.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data.

In order to close apps in iOS 5 or iOS 6, first tap the home button once. Then tap the home button twice and the recents tray will appear at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Tap the home button twice.

In order to close apps in iOS 7, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

My iPad goes to home screen all the time!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.