Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD app

After reading general info (5 pages of A discussion on the ARD function and A link to another web site addressing the security risk of the remote desktop function) I clicked on "branches of to new discussion" and got " Unauthorized, Access to this place or content is restricted. if you think this is A mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here" What I wanted to know was what would be the result of deleting the entire thing. I will never , ever, use this, and, if it poses, A, serious security risk, (as I have read) there is no reason for me to have it in my system. Any thoughts on this would be helpful and enlightening. Thanks for any help.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:28 PM

10 replies

Jul 12, 2014 4:04 PM in response to MKE123

Just DO NOT enable System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Managment.

Also DO NOT enable System Preferences -> Sharing -> Screen Sharing, AND Remote Login, AND Remote Apple Events.

Also do not install software that would provide remote screen sharing, this includes Skype, Google Talk, TeamViewer, LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, etc...

As long as the software is not running, no one is going to be able to use it to connect to your system.

By default none of these services are enabled. Out-of-the-Box, Mac OS X does not enable services that would allow remote systems to access it. You have to intentionally enable them.

Also if you use good secure passwords on all accounts, it is unlikely anyone would break into your Mac, even if you enabled some of these System Preference services.

What I wanted to know was what would be the result of deleting the entire thing.

You are just asking for problems if you remove standard Mac OS X software. Stuff that you do want to use may have shared libraries. Future software updates may not work correctly if it cannot find the old versions to replace. Or a future software update may just add it back in, which means you are just getting a short term false sense of security.

I will never , ever, use this, and, if it poses, A, serious security risk, (as I have read) there is no reason for me to have it in my system.

If you do not enable it, then it is not going to be a security risk.

In all the years of participating in Mac related forums, I have only seen remote desktop access invasion happening when someone was using very poor passwords AND they had Screen Sharing or Remote Management enabled, or someone convinced a novice to install TeamViewer via a SCAM and gained access that way. I have never heard of anyone being broken into when no remote services were enabled.

Oh yea, and when an X-spouse or X-Boy/Girl friend used insider knowledge to gain access. But a Cold break-in just does not happen with Macs.

Jul 12, 2014 9:21 PM in response to MKE123

MKE123 wrote:

I'm not paranoid, but I feel if you remove all possible, or potential threats, then, none exist. Do you know if the ARD function, has A shared library? If so, couldn't you remove it without it affecting the shared library. Good advice anyway , and thank you for it. Sincerely.

The fact that the feature is shown in Sharing preference pane settings should be proof enough that it lives in shared territory. Leave it disabled and then leave it alone is my advice.

As for removing all possible threats, that is not possible with a networked computer. If you sincerely wish to remove all possible/potential threats, the only avenue would be to turn off the computer and lock it away. All networked systems by their very definition are vulnerable to possible exploit.

Jul 12, 2014 11:11 PM in response to MKE123

Hi MKE123,

I agree with all being posted in this discussion.

- Remote Management / Screen Sharing in System Preferences -> Sharing, are core services of OS X and have been components of OS X for years.

- Remote Management / Screen Sharing are enabled / disabled via System Preferences -> Sharing

- The results of the above settings can be viewed in System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall options. Remote Management / Screen Sharing will only be allowed ( listed ) if they are enabled back in Sharing.

- An admin password is required to make changes.

tip - System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Advanced -> click " Require an administrator to access system-wide preferences"

Hope this helps

Jul 13, 2014 8:03 AM in response to MKE123

I'm not paranoid, but I feel if you remove all possible, or potential threats, then, none exist. Do you know if the ARD function, has A shared library? If so, couldn't you remove it without it affecting the shared library. Good advice anyway , and thank you for it. Sincerely.

We are not Apple. Just fellow Mac OS X users.

If the software is not running, and no ports are opened to receive a remote desktop connection request, then there is no threat.

If you do not trust the software to stay disabled, then how can you trust anything in the operating system? And the only way to enable it is to have access to your Mac. But if they already have access to your Mac, why do they need Apple Remote Desktop, as they can install anything they like, including stuff you cannot find via System Preferences.

From day 1, Mac OS X has not had any secret back doors and it does not come with any open ports. And on top of that, most people have their Macs behind home router, which block unsolicited network connections (laptops that leave the home are a different story). My personal opinion, based on years of using Mac OS X, and participating in various Mac related forums, if you do not enable any remote access System Preferences, you do not have any remote access risks.

However, if you still wish to remove any and all traces of remote connection software from your Mac, you are on your own. I would suggest you do this experiment on a separate cloned partition or alternate bootable disk (SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner will do the clone), so that if you break your operating system beyond repair, you can throw it away, and go back to your unmodified system with all your stuff on it. Otherwise, you may become the proud owner of a very stylish and expensive door stop.

Jul 14, 2014 1:11 AM in response to BobHarris

Good info, thanks, my doorstop, oops, computer, cost me $50 on e bay (A i.42 GHz eMac) that runs Leopard like A champ. (read A lot about problems with this on other forums including Apple Communities) (running Leopard on PPC architecture) I Have just eliminated the x86 binaries and wow, the apps open like lightning. Again, thanks, just, trying, to have fun, naval, trained, electrician, so, watch, it ! ha, ha .

Jul 14, 2014 1:30 AM in response to MKE123

MKE123 wrote:

Good info, thanks, my doorstop, oops, computer, cost me $50 on e bay (A i.42 GHz eMac) that runs Leopard like A champ. (read A lot about problems with this on other forums including Apple Communities) (running Leopard on PPC architecture) I Have just eliminated the x86 binaries and wow, the apps open like lightning. Again, thanks, just, trying, to have fun, naval, trained, electrician, so, watch, it ! ha, ha .

🙂

I love hearing about older systems getting great use. My own MacBook is an older 'Early 2008' model. With 6GB RAM and a fast SSD, I sure have no need or desire to upgrade to a newer system.

Jul 14, 2014 10:40 PM in response to Trane Francks

I have A 2 GHz iMac which cost me $50 on ebay that I got cheap because it had issues when I first got it. (wouldn't wake from sleep, wouldn't turn on) (common problems with this model) Using remedies found on Apple Communities, I've fixed these. (every once and A while I try to do something and it just shuts down, I just unplug it for and hour or so and it just starts right back up) I also am using Lion 10.7.5, and find it "adequate". I actually like it A lot! Good hearing from you . Sincerely. Kurt.

ARD app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.