Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 not responding

Motion 5 has, for all intents and purposes stopped working...Occasionally, I can open up the program and start fresh with a new project and it will run "fine" albeit a bit slow... As soon as I start making any adjustments--inserting an image an giving it a behavior it slows down dramatically and then eventually the playhead will not even respond.

Mac Info

2.7Ghz Intel Core i5

21.5 Inch Late 2012 iMac

8GB

NVIDIA Geforce GT 640m

OS X 10.9.4

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 2:11 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 3:17 PM in response to Volstick

Is your copy of Motion up to date? What is your project size? What are your canvas render settings? Are you using lots of particles, motion blur, Depth of Field, Lights/Shadows, or Reflections in your project? How big are your images or other media?

Point being, there are a number of factors that can affect performance, you'll need to be more specific to get useful suggestions.

Jul 15, 2014 6:34 AM in response to Volstick

The project size is 300 frames. I have turned down all the render settings to bare minimum. When I originally notice the problem I was using only an imported png file and replicating for 3d effect but it basically shut down the whole process and nothing I did could mitigate it. I haven't found much from other sources that touch on this issue--I did trash preferences and even reinstalled. It seems to be performing only marginally better.

Jul 15, 2014 10:25 AM in response to Volstick

Seems like you've done all the more-or-less basic remedies. What about the Activity Monitor, does it show anything running that might not be usual?

With my computer I have the Internet disconnected or turned off. Sometimes "stuff" will be coming in via the background, like an application update or something like that so it could be sucking up resources. The mention of 3D sounds ominous but since you have an i5 so that *should* work.

Jul 16, 2014 7:22 AM in response to Searchin99

Hmmm maybe I could try turning off the net to see if that helps...Since my Mac never really messes up I never have a cause for looking "under the hood" so over the years my technical knowledge has waned significantly--so when I pull up the activity monitor--well, it's pretty much Greek at this point...I found a video where one fellow found that his computer was trying to run some sort of color correction on his monitor and that was causing his copy of Motion to run extremely slow but I would't be able to identify a problem like that I'm afraid.

Motion 5 not responding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.