Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Final Cut Pro projects will not read?

I have my Final Cut Pro projects saved to my computer and I have been trying to view them for a while, but unfortunately, when I try to open them, they are not a readable video file, but they open up a text box filled with writings that I don't understand... I will upload photos to explain, but I really just need to have these projects saved!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Even the "Render Files" and "Shared Items" Are filled with un useful files that I can't use! Please HELP!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 2:21 PM

20 replies

Jul 12, 2014 3:52 PM in response to DanielzROTFL

You are working with files that were made in an earlier version than the latest versions, 10.1.x. And they need to be located correctly What is the path of these files and folders?

What version are you using currently?

Anyway, these need to be opened from within the application. They don't open from the Finder, as you've learned.

Russ

Jul 12, 2014 8:29 PM in response to Russ H

Hey Russ! I was working with files that were made in a previous version. When I open up my Final Cut Pro (now with the new update) I click File>Import>Media and try to import these specific files, but they are unable to be imported! The location of these files are on my external hard drive, which is where I save all of my projects. Should I move them into the "Movies" folder? And where do I go from there?

Jul 13, 2014 4:19 AM in response to DanielzROTFL

YYou should start by reading up on this new version of FCP since 10.1. There have been significant changes and it will be near impossible to walk you through it step by step in forum messages. You should make the effort.

THe the event you're showing is on an external drive. There should be another library usually called Macintosh HD that has the projects and events from the Movies folder. Where was the media in those media? Was it inside the event or external to the event? I'm not seeing any projects in the external library? Where the projects in the Movies folder and the events for them on the external? That's a recipe for disaster. Hopefully you used the Save option when you update projects and events.

Jul 13, 2014 4:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I have saved the old files thankfully when it asked me to, they were placed inside a folder called "Old FCP projects." On my external hard drive, is where the file is completely located, there is a folder with all the frames and etc... but when I try to open them, they just open a dialog box that I don't understand. When I try to update them manually, they won't let me click them.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jul 13, 2014 5:08 AM in response to DanielzROTFL

This first image is a complete mess. It looks as if the whole thing has been messed up, which is as mildly as I can put it. You need some one who knows what they're doing to sit down with you and walk you through this and help you sort it out.

The first image shows what looks like the root level of the external drive, where the new library has been placed together with the saved files. However there is a .fcpproject file and a .fcpevent file at the root level of the drive, which have absolutely no business being there, and unless you know exactly how they got there, or where they came from, they are not recoverable.

I have no idea what the New German folder is or where it is, but it should not normally have an .fcpproject file and an .fcpevent file in the same folder. Showing everything is icon view is completely unhelpful because there is no information at all where any folder resides or what the folder structure is, which is critical to working with older versions of FCP 10.0.x. (BTW you still have never said that versions of the software you're dealing with, what current version of FCP and what old version of FCP.)

It would probably be a good idea to stop hacking files to open them. Don't bother with looking in the render files. They're irrelevant, and the least of your problems.

Jul 13, 2014 10:39 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The first image is just my external hard drive, with my personal files etc. (Which is probably why it looks a mess.) But correct, the first image is just the opened external hard drive showing what is in it. The reason that there are .fcp files on that first image is because I just "test saved" a project to the hard drive to see if my file needed to be opened was corrupted, or that is just how each file looks. They are not important. What IS important is the "NewGerman" file which is found in the external hard drive, in a folder that FCP created after I updated the media from the software. "File>Update Media" This file is called "External Hard Drive Old Final Cut Pro Projects" in that file is where the "NewGerman" file is found, and is shown on the 2nd photo. As for the version of FCP, I currently have 10.1.1 And am pretty sure I just had the version immediately before 10.1.1 when I updated it. I hope that helps, and thank you for helping me. What do I do next to get these files to play? It is frustrating. :/

Jul 13, 2014 12:29 PM in response to DanielzROTFL

The current version is 10.1.2. The version prior to 10.1.1 was 10.1, but your projects and events ware made in 10.0.9 or earlier.

In the New German folder there are render files and shorted files, but there is no media. If you original had an event called New German, there should have been a folder in it called Original Media. Where was your media? You need to find that before you do anything else. Please post screen shots in column view so we can see file paths.

My Final Cut Pro projects will not read?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.