Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iPhone should I buy if living in both the US and Europe (Spain)

Hey everyone,

My parents live in the US for half the year and Spain for the other half of the year. I'd like to buy them an iPhone but am not sure which one to get. I don't think getting a contract in the US would be a good idea, so am thinking of buying one unlocked from an Apple store.

- Which of the unlocked iPhone 5s will work in both locations

- Will they be able to swap their Spanish SIM with a TMobile SIM (month to month) without a problem?

- Any other advice or suggestions?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:56 PM

You can buy from either country as long as it is a SIM unlocked phone That way you will be able to swap SIMs. Ask at the Apple store. While one phone from either country will work in the other, there are some caveats:

1). You will only be able to get 3G data speeds and 4G/LTE will work either in one country or the other (but not both) with the same phone as the 4G/LTE frequencies vary between the two countries, and the phones in each of countries are made specifically for the 4G/LTE networks available in the country where the phones are sold.

2). The warranty is not international and will only be valid in the country where the phone was purchased. If you run into problems in the US and the phone was purchased in Spain you will have to bring the phone back for both in and out of warranty service to Spain (or any EU country as the EU is treated as one country for warranty purposes).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2014 3:56 PM in response to bbaigo

You can buy from either country as long as it is a SIM unlocked phone That way you will be able to swap SIMs. Ask at the Apple store. While one phone from either country will work in the other, there are some caveats:

1). You will only be able to get 3G data speeds and 4G/LTE will work either in one country or the other (but not both) with the same phone as the 4G/LTE frequencies vary between the two countries, and the phones in each of countries are made specifically for the 4G/LTE networks available in the country where the phones are sold.

2). The warranty is not international and will only be valid in the country where the phone was purchased. If you run into problems in the US and the phone was purchased in Spain you will have to bring the phone back for both in and out of warranty service to Spain (or any EU country as the EU is treated as one country for warranty purposes).

Which iPhone should I buy if living in both the US and Europe (Spain)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.