Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash out of date – not!

Using Mac mini 2012, OS 10.8.5, Safari 6.1.4, various versions of Firefox. Many websites show "Flash out of date" for Safari but no problem with Firefox, even an old version. I installed the latest Flash yesterday, no change. What's next?

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:17 PM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2014 4:01 PM in response to Moof666

The update alerts are fake, and are intended to dupe you into installing malware or disclosing private information so that your identity can be stolen.

You might get the alerts when visiting a website that has been hacked. Don't visit the site again. If applicable, notify the site administrator of the problem, but don't send email to an unknown party.

If you get the alerts when visiting more than one well-known website, such as Google, YouTube, or Facebook, then they're almost certainly the result of an attack on your router that has caused you to get false results from looking up the addresses of Internet servers. Requests sent to those sites are redirected to a server controlled by the attacker. It's possible, but less likely, that the DNS server used by your ISP has been attacked, but you should assume that the router is at fault until proven otherwise.

The router's documentation should tell you how to reset it to the factory default state. Usually there's a pinhole switch somewhere in the back. It may be labeled "RESET." Insert the end of a straightened paper clip or a similar tool and press the button inside for perhaps 15 seconds, or as long as the instructions specify.

After resetting the router, quit the web browser and relaunch it while holding down the shift key. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Do the equivalent if you use another browser. Open the Downloads folder and delete anything you don't recognize.

Then go through the router's initial setup procedure. I can't be specific, because it's different for every model. The key points are these:

1. Don't allow the router to be administered from the WAN (Internet) port, if it has that option. Most do.

2. Set a strong password to protect the router's settings: at least ten random upper- and lower-case letters and digits. Don't use the default password or any other that could be guessed. Any password that you can remember is weak.

3. If the router is wireless, or if you have a wireless access point on the network, use "WPA 2 Personal" security and set a different strong password to protect the network. If the router or access point doesn't support WPA 2, it's obsolete and must be replaced.

During the time the router was compromised, you were redirected to bogus websites. If you ever connected to a secure site and got a warning from your browser that the identity of the server could not be verified, and you dismissed that warning in order to log in, assume that your credentials for the site have been stolen and that the attacker has control of the account. This warning also applies to all websites on which you saw the fake update alerts.

Check the router manufacturer's website for a firmware update.

If you downloaded and installed what you thought was a software update, ask for instructions.

Jul 12, 2014 4:21 PM in response to Linc Davis

The same websites do not have the "fake malware link" in Firefox, so I kinda pooh-pooh that notion.

I have two routers. Tried the other one, same issue. I even did a hard-reset of one, same…. not that I expected that to solve the issue, just going along with you.

One of the two routers is AirPort Extreme, strong password, set for invisible, so there isn't a snowball's chance in Haides anyone has hacked my network.

This Mac mini is connected by ethernet. The Wi-Fi is for a MacBook in another room that isn't on.

Honestly, I have no confidence that you understand this issue: Safari can't load flash plugin; Firefox can.

Jul 12, 2014 6:03 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

No "Cache.db" exactly. The two file names are

Cache.db-shm

Cache.db-wal

Trashed both, blahblah. That fixed it. Thanks.

Based on this, I assume the Adobe website can't provide the correct Flash download, until you remove these updater databases. Very strange. Now it has three files: Cache.db, Cache.db-shm, Cache.db-wal

Still, Safari can't load content with older Flash, but Firefox can... hmmmm...

Flash out of date – not!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.