Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

movie size help

Hello, I need some help. I have exhausted all my efforts at finding a solution. I made a movie using Final Cut Pro. It includes clips from a mp4 GoPro file and a mpeg2 codec MOV file from my JVC HM100 camera. Movie is saved at H264 and 1920 x 1080. Both cameras are shooting this size, but my movie comes out with a huge border on all sides. The movie is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmVq8BhLwSA ANy idea on how to solve my problem? It's an HD movie and I want it to be without a black border. Thanks

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:00 PM

15 replies

Jul 12, 2014 3:34 PM in response to mf3

In FCP, open your sequence. In the Canvas window, set the display size to Fit to Window.

User uploaded file

Do you see the black area there, or does the video fill the frame?

If you don't see the black area there, then remove any in or out points you have on your timeline and go to the menu File > Export > QuickTime Movie, and when the pane opens, navigate to where you want to store the movie, and make sure you have the Setting set to Current Settings, and the Make Movie Self Contained box checked. Export the movie. Open the exported file in QuickTime and verify that it still looks correct. Post back here.

If you do see the black area there, then click anywhere on your timeline and type Command + 0 {zero} to see your sequence settings, and either report those settings or take a screen shot and post that screen shot here.

MtD

Jul 12, 2014 5:04 PM in response to mf3

OK, and I assume your source material is HD? You are editing in a Standard Definition Timeline with a Standard Definition aspect ratio of 4:3 - so FCP is letterboxing the video and reducing the quality to fit in it. When you export this file to YouTube, YouTube displays it within an HD 16:9 frame - so you get all the black space around the smaller SD file.

If this is not what you want, then look at this thread here - it is a very similar situation..

MtD

Jul 12, 2014 6:13 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I tried changing the sequence settings to 1280x720 HDTV 720 16:9 like another one of my videos and changed the compression to XDCAM EX 720p 60, then copied the video to the new project, rendered it, then exported it, but it made the movie even smaller with a lot bigger black borders. The movie looks like this before it gets on YouTube.

Jul 12, 2014 7:45 PM in response to mf3

When you originally edit the HD video into the incorrect (undesired) frame size timeline, FCP Scaled the clips to fit. When you copy them from the incorrect timeline, and paste them into the new one, this incorrect scaling is retained.

That is why you want to use Remove Attributes - to remove this incorrect scaling.

If you double click on one of your now "even smaller" clips on the new HD timeline you created, it will open in the viewer. If you click on the Motion Tab, you will see that it is scaled down from original size. The original size is 100% Scale.

If you Control Click on that clip in the timeline, and choose Remove Attributes, you will be given the opportunity to check the box for Basic Motion (of which Scaling is a part) and you can remove it there. That will reset the scaling for the clip to default - 100%.

User uploaded file

By following the instructions in the other thread, you can select a group of clips, or all of the clips in the timeline, and by Control Clicking on any one of the selected clips, remove the Attributes for all the selected clips.

MtD

Jul 13, 2014 9:15 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

My JVC HM100 makes Mpeg2 MOV files, there is nothing to convert. Load and edit into FCP in a second. The GoPro camera shoots MP4, that is it. I have to render the MP4 files before I can edit. I have to combine both files to make a movie. They are both shot at 1920 HD.

I think the problem is in getting the right settings in the "sequence settings" and the "export" settings.

Jul 13, 2014 9:20 AM in response to mf3

sorry you're wrong. mp4 will definitely not behave properly in fcp. You can use mpegstreamclip to convert to prores.

http://www.squared5.com/

AS far as the JVC HM100, mpeg2 comes in many flavors. If they're HDV, you should be able to work with them directly in fcp. If they're not, they will not be dependable sources and will need to be converted. Compressor which is part of the final cut pro suite may be able to do it, and mpeg streamclip may be able to do it.

Once you've got the material in an fcp friendly format, we should be able to solve any problem you're having.

Many people have reported that they've been able to work with these and other formats like h264 in fcp. HOWEVER, you can not work dependably with them. A quick search of the forum will show this to be true. Sooner or Later you'll have serious problems.

Jul 13, 2014 10:15 AM in response to mf3

fcpX and Premiere will probably both handle the files without conversion.

Can't tell you how long mpegstreamclip will take. May be greater than the duration of the file. It's free so why not run a test. By default, when you do a Export to Quicktime, the pixel dimensions will by default stay the same as the original file. If you have any questions about settings for mpegstreamclip export, post back.

Michael

movie size help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.