Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update keeps asking me to install the existing, current version of iTunes

Well, I thought this would go away - maybe - when I just updated to iTunes 11.3. But, it didn't. I uninstalled iTunes and all associated programs in the order recommended by one posting, rebooted, installed the current iTunes 11.3. But, when I run the Software Update, it still tells me I need to update to 11.3 (now - it used to say 11.2, etc.). I've had this problem for some time. I have three machines in the house with iTunes on each - all are basically identical installs - all done at the same time, and this one machine is the only one that can't recognize that it already has the current version of iTunes and keeps popping up wanting me to install it all over again - which I've done by following the prompt, and then it immediately checks to see if new updates are required and tells me - again - that I need to update to the current version - which, of course, is already installed. How do I get out of this loop? Help????

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 9:56 AM

Still have this issue and as all former posters have mentioned have followed the "Apple" solution to the letter and done all the things you proposed above and it makes no difference. Robert's posts are completely correct, this shouldn't be happening years after the initial problem has been highlighted.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2017 9:56 AM in response to turingtest2

Still have this issue and as all former posters have mentioned have followed the "Apple" solution to the letter and done all the things you proposed above and it makes no difference. Robert's posts are completely correct, this shouldn't be happening years after the initial problem has been highlighted.

Dec 8, 2017 6:50 AM in response to jamesfromburtonsville

If you're prepared to invest the time it would be useful to know if the symptom occurs in a new user account? If it doesn't then it might be possible to fix the problem in the original account by clearing specific folders in the user profile that aren't normally touched when iTunes and other components are uninstalled, or when following Apple's removal guide.

tt2

Jul 14, 2014 12:44 PM in response to bweech

Hi bweech,

Welcome to the Support Communities! The article below will help you troubleshoot the issue you are having with the update to iTunes 11.3. I understand you have tried some of these steps, but I would recommend going through them as outlined in this article again.

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Aug 16, 2016 10:44 AM in response to judysings

It doesn't help!!! Quit ignoring the issue by just parroting the corporate mantra "Uninstall - Reinstall" that will fix it!!

Wink, wink, nod nod!

If my wife didn't have itunes and an Ipad I would never have any of your products!

Windows and Android at least have communities that won't let go of a problem until somebody finds a solution or determines that it can't be fixed. Apple agents just thumb through their "Official Problem Solving Guide" that their supervisor handed them and read the "solutions" in their best monotone, I really care, voice. That may be ok for normal operator induced screwups but when you have a problem like this that persists over extended time (mine has been doing this for 3 years people) then "real" programmers need to get involved and fix it!!

Aug 17, 2016 9:12 AM in response to Robert3012

The generic uninstall all Apple components and then reinstall steps usually resolve most issues with iTunes and related software so they're not necessarily a bad place to start. See Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for my take on those steps. Since this problem persists over a reinstall that would suggest that the problem lies in folders not touched by that process. It might help to remove Apple related folders in the AppData or ProgramData areas. Since I don't have the issue I cannot try selectively deleting things to see which specific folder might help. It is perhaps worth noting that certain AV software can interfere with the way that Apple software reads and updates files so it could be worth testing with AV disabled. Running Apple Software and/or iTunes as the administrator from the right-click menu on the shortcuts may allow these programs to correct any permissions issues with their existing configuration files.

tt2

Software Update keeps asking me to install the existing, current version of iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.