Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a Single Channel 8GB RAM in late-2009 17" 2.8 Core 2 Duo

Hi guys.

I've been beginning to run into the problems with the RAM slots on the logic board, where only one slot will work instead of both.

I upgraded to 8GB of RAM from the 4GB setup a while back and only began having the problem within the last year or so, on and off. I've tried using different 2x4GB sticks, from Crucial and Mushkin and the effect is the same.

Logical deduction makes me think it's the familiar issue with the RAM slots on the logic board.

I really don't want to spend the $ for a logic board replacement, so will a single stick 8GB work on my MBP? I need the 8GB because I do a lot of photo editing and multi-tasking on the go.

And while there is no single 8GB stick rated at PC3 8500, I read that as long as the memory sticks have the same number of pins (204) and the clocking speed is at the minimum rating (1066), any stick faster will automatically reclock itself to work with said slot.

I tried it by purchasing this stick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226266

But when I mounted it, I got the MBP beeping and no boot, even after resetting the SMC and trying it in both slots.

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone provide any input as to what I could do to get around this temperamental RAM slot issue?

As of now, both slots seem to be providing my 8GB of RAM but I know that when I get up on the go again, and my laptop bag experiences any sudden motion, it's going to knock it back down to 4GB via 1 channel, knocking out the other slot.

TIA. Any advice appreciated.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 3:59 PM

5 replies

Jul 12, 2014 4:41 PM in response to chinny4290

chinny4290 wrote:

My System Info says I have a MacBookPro5,2

That is a early 2009 MBP.

The only one on OWC's site is this one, but it says, for 13-inch only (*For MacBook Pro 13.3" Mid 2010 (Model ID MacbookPro 7,1) Only*))

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/8566DDR3S8GB/

Will it still work?

Not likely. The problem that you are faced with is that there are no 8 GB modules with those specifications, at least that I am aware of. 4GB is the maximum amount that you will be able to install with only one functioning RAM bay.

I would bring the MBP into an Apple store genius bar and see if the RAM bays can be repaired, what is involved what the cost would be. These evaluations are FREE regardless of the age of the MBP.

Ciao.

Can I use a Single Channel 8GB RAM in late-2009 17" 2.8 Core 2 Duo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.