Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

resetting ipod touch 5th generation

from what I have read , we cant reset an ipod touch if we dont know the previous owners apple id and password. I get this , BUT , have some other questions regarding this.

1. even though some say theirs ipods are now bricks , the used one my son got still works and he can sign into his itunes acct and add his emails. Is this NOT SAFE?

The Previous owner acct is still in his name and has icloud. can this guy get my sons info when he posts pictures , download things, facebook, twitter , etc?

2. can previous owner someday get a wild hair and just turn it off or block it since he has "Find my Phone" thing? since it is still in his name?

thanks to all that reply. I just want to make sure no information will be shared with previous owner and that we are safe.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 4:29 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 6:34 AM in response to lllaass

If they erase it , wont it then be free to start a new owner? I have seen instructions on that is what you want the previous owner to do.

so should I turn off certain settings ? which ones ?

and if I download an app or game or music , then he cant see that since I have to sign in itunes and app store with my apple id ??

Jul 13, 2014 9:08 AM in response to Jays1fan

The original owner can only access the services associated with their account. That is that mail account, Contacts, Calendar, Contacts, Reminders, on iCluod documents if associated with that iCloud account like for Number, Pages and Keynote presentations.

People say it is bricked since usually the iPod has a screen lock passcode. To bypass the passcode yo have to place the iPod in Recovery mode and then restore but yo have to enter the Apple ID and password of the original owner to activate it.

It is save to us as long as yo do not use any of the account associated with the iCloud account and yo do not mind having the iPod erased.

resetting ipod touch 5th generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.