Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newbie: how to install imagemagick

I want to install imagemagick

I gather I can do one of the following:

- download the tar file and install manually - seems to be about 6/7 commands I need to execute

- use Macports

- use Homebrew

Coming from the Windows world, I'm very concerned about not installing junk and overloading my system and bringing it to a grinding halt

Should I use Macports or Homebrew? What are the pros and cons of having these? And is there a general consensus about which is better of the 2?

Thanks

Omar

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 5:05 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2014 7:09 PM in response to omar.m

Why do you want ImageMagick? Is there some specific task you want to perform? It is command line software so if you really want to run it, it would be best to become familiar with the Terminal and downloading and installing the tarball would be a good first step. MacPorts and Homebrew are conveniences useful mostly to developers. They would install the same software and you would still have to use it from the command line.

Jul 12, 2014 7:58 PM in response to etresoft

@etresoft I need to manipulate images, things like optimise, add watermarks and other things that I don't think I can do with sips. I already use sips to resize and crop. I don't want to install imagemagick, but I don't think there's a way to do using terminal commands otherwise?

So, you would recommend just installing manually and not installing brew or other similar? I can't think what else I would use them for

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Newbie: how to install imagemagick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.