Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Track Info Constantly Changing

I go through all my song / album information in iTunes (Windows 7), right mouse click on the track and/or album and click the Edit Info that appears in the pop up menu. I spend a lot of time going through to organize my track listing information so I can find the information in my iPod Classic. After a couple days (sometimes a week or two, sometimes a day or two), all of this information that I edited is gone in iTunes. It is reset to the original information from when I purchased the items and all of my customization is gone, requiring me to go back and do it all over again.

Why does this keep happening? I saw on some web searches that it was Windows Media Player updating the track information, but I have everything turned off in Windows Media Player and have no library setup for Media Player to manage but yet, iTunes is still constantly changing.

What else could be doing this and how do I stop it?

Any help is appreciated

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 5:59 PM

7 replies

Jul 12, 2014 6:02 PM in response to Gettysburg1863

In iTunes go to Edit > Preferences > Store and turn off

• Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases
  • Share details about your library with Apple

On any iOS device go to Settings > Music and turn off

Show All Music

Close and reopen iTunes and/or reset the device and you should see your version of the metadata for each track rather than the original store data.

tt2

Jul 13, 2014 5:40 AM in response to Gettysburg1863

How aggravating... 😕

Do you use iTunes Match? I think this may force iTunes Store metadata on you.

Make a backup of your .itl file when it holds the correct data. Then be prepared to restore if it changes again.

See also Is there any way to edit an itunes library.itl file? I wrote a script for exporting and importing selected metadata fields. If you export the correct data for your purchases then it will be an easy matter to reimport the corrections should it happen again.

tt2

Jul 13, 2014 5:57 PM in response to turingtest2

tt2:

As to iTunes Match, I am going to say "No" as I am not sure what that is, so unless it is something turned on and running that I am not aware it is running, it isn't something I am knowingly using (hope that makes sense, like it is running in the background or an option I have turned on and not knowing it).

Thank you for the help. As for now, that might be the way I need to go. I have to admit, I was hoping for a permanent solution to stop it from happening at all, as you alluded to how aggravating.

But backing up that file and restoring it would be a heck of a lot easier than redoing all that work. I will look into this option as a possible "plan B", with the obvious Plan A being the permanent solution. Please don't take this being rude, I greatly appreciate the help and this will still save me a ton of time in the long run. I guess I just thought it would have been something obvious I was overlooking that was causing this?

Track Info Constantly Changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.