Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Os 10.6.8 Crash and video freeze, Mac Pro

Hi,

I just installed Mac OS 10.6 on my old Mac Pro, early 2009 (8 gib of Ram installed). I still have my old Mac OS10.5.8 on another internal boothable disk.

It went well the first day or so but now I'm experiencing some major video problems: picture of the desktop keeps freezing, videos are crashing in Firefox 30 with Flash 14 plugin, etc. I have 2 internal identical video cards and 2 separate monitors (NVIDIA-GT120). Here is a picture of what's happening:

User uploaded file

I have installed upgrade for FireFox and Flash Player plugin 14.

I've tried to deactivate Flash option for "Accelerated": nothing is changing, the problem is still there.

Everytime a have a window that I move from one monitor to another smear and freeze all over on both monitors.

I have QuickTime 7 and QuickTime for mac OS 10.6. I want to keep my older version because I have Quicktime Pro.

Where should I start, I'm no expert, thank you in advance to explain it to me in a simple manner if you answer to that post.

Please help,

Thank's!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:57 PM

11 replies

Jul 17, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi,

Sorry if I had not reply earlier. Yes I've tried it with Safari but the same problem stills occurs but it takes a little bit more time to appear.

I can watch some videos (QuickTime or flash) on my Mac using whether fireFox 30 or Safai 5 with mac OS10.6, and thus, without any problem. But enventually after a certain period of time (2 to 4h), all the windows and my desktop's picture in the background get frozens or simply all smeared up. I could be in other applications and the problem still remains. It's like if the video ram is being filled up and it cannot clear itself, my monitor cannot refresh the background image of my desktop. I run two monitors plug into two identical nut separate cards on my MacPro.

I've made all the necessary verifications and tests to see if it's a hardware or a RAM problem: everything seem's to fine.

All I can do when this occurs is to restart the beast and then the problem goes away untill the problem shows back after a certain time.

I know I have a conflict between QuickTime 7 and QuickTime X and also the new Flash 14 plugin which is an issues that I don't know how to resolve. I went on Apple's Web Site/download for Quicktime to see if there where some other version available for Mac OS 10.6. I don't understand why version "7.7" is for Mac OS 10.5.8 and "7.6" is for Mac OS 10.6?

Apple - Support - Downloads

I already download version 7.6 when I upgraded from Mac OS 10. 5 to Mac OS10.6 and that is mabe why I'm having a conflict with my original version of QuickTime 7 Pro? When I upgraded mys Mac OS to 10.6, I made sure to keep my Quicktime Pro version

Thank you in advance for answering and looking forward to read you,

Robert Marchand

Jul 18, 2014 8:13 AM in response to rmarchan

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

Jul 18, 2014 11:56 AM in response to rmarchan

Thank you for answering so promptly,

I already made a backup with TimeMachine of my new and original files of Mac OS 10.6 system.

May I point out that I've just installed Mac Os 10.6 as an upgrade of Mac OS, from 10.5. I have now 10.5 Mac OS on one boothing disk and my new 10.6 on another boothing disk. So I can wether rebooth on one or the other. So I upgraded a clone copy of 10.5 to 10.6 on my new boothing disk: I'm aware that my new Mac OS may be not be as clean as it should be.

I also did all the operations you where mentionning such as disconnect all non essential peripherals (especially my main monitor ) then power it up again. I also reboothed in "Safe Mode" and started again in normal mode afterwards. Nothing had really changed at that time. I've even zapped the "P RAM". I even did a "Repair Permissions with "Dislk Utilities".

"Isolating an issue by using another user account"

Thank you for the link, I shall read it carefully and thoroughly...

I have tried it and logged with a new account. May I say that I don't use this method very often. There are many options that I'm not very familiar with such as how to share some folder or file and also how to setup an automatic password. I think thought that this action helpped me afterwards. As this article is mentionning: the main idea is to "check if the Mac OS is behaving as expected" in a new user account. The answer to that is a pisitive "yes" and I did regain a better control of my Mac OS new system afterwards.

I did not understand at first the expression "If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work". Reading a little about it, I think it has to do with an "iCloud feature to set up a network of Mac computers that you cant then access remotely". I don't have an iCloud connection/account installed/set-up. I only expremimented with that option once or twice many years ago with my iPod so, I,m not familiar with that option.

"Deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer"

Since I'm not a newbie on the Mac, I know how "Third Party's Applications/utilities" may really mess up an OS and make it behave in an unusual and erractic ways sometime. I did all the suggested operation and I did find some of them installed in the menu that where messing up my new Mac OS. I did it as I knew how to do long ago with very older versions: deleting/deactivating them completly and then reboothing again then installing them one by one reboothing carefully between each new one where installed. It did also found some upgrades for some of them to more stable and functionnal versions with my new Mac OS.

Question about User Account vs. System's Files

Can I delete certain presets and/or preference files only stored in my "User Account" but should I never do this with files stored in the "System Folder" or the "Main Library"? Sorry, I'm an "Older Guy" and I'm used to older versions of Macs... Thank you for suggesting any good documentation on that matter so I can learn more on this topic.

As for now...

My system is behaving better and it' also much more stable now thank you.It seem's to me that I did all the suggested and necessary steps to resolve certain important wrong behaviors and issues.

But not all...

I've still have the problem with QuickTime 7 and Flash 14 plugin when I brows and watch certain videos on the Web after a certain time. It's still very annoying when it's starts: I get an all smeared up display of my desktop afterwards (as shown in the above example I supplied in my first post). Restarting my Mac resolve's it for a few hours...

My conclusions

I think that there's a problem maybe with the Video Ram stored when Quicktime or Flash 14 is used: the System is then not able to dump the old data and prevent's it to replace/refresh it with the new data on screen (QuickTime or Flash seem's to be freezing that important process)?

Thank you for your time and looking forward to read you,

Robert Marchand

Jul 18, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for answering so promptly,

I already made a backup with TimeMachine of my new and original files of Mac OS 10.6 system.

May I point out that I've just installed Mac Os 10.6 as an upgrade of Mac OS, from 10.5. I have now Mac OS 10.5 on one boothing disk and Mac Os 10.6 on another boothing disk. I can wether rebooth on one or the other. I upgraded to my new Os from a clone copy of 10.5 to 10.6 on a different disk: I'm aware that my new Mac OS may be not be as clean as it should be.

I also did all the operations you where mentionning such as disconnecting all non essential peripherals (even my main monitor) then power it up again. I also reboothed in "Safe Mode" and started again in normal mode afterwards. I've even zapped the "P RAM". I even did a "Repair Permissions with "Dislk Utilities". Nothing of that nature have resolved the various issues that I metionned in my previous Post.

"Isolating an issue by using another user account"

Thank you for the link, I shall read it carefully and thoroughly. Yes, I have tried to logged-in as a new user before your Post. I think this solution helped afterwards.

I don't use these options often, I'm the only user and I'm not that familiar with all these options. I've tried to share some folders or files and also tried to setup an automatic password but I was not that very succesfull. As this article is mentionning: the main idea is to "check if the Mac OS is behaving as expected" in a new user account.

The answer to that is a positive "yes" and I did regain a better control of my Mac OS new system afterwards.

I did not understand at first your expression "If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work". Reading a little about it, I think it has to do with an "iCloud feature to set up a network of Mac computers that you cant then access remotely". I don't have an iCloud connection/account installed/set-up. I only expremimented with that option once or twice many years ago with my iPod so, I,m not familiar with that option.

"Deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer"

Since I'm not a newbie on the Mac, I know how "Third Party's Applications/utilities" may really mess up an OS and make it behave in unusual ways sometime... I did find some of them installed in the menu that where messing up my new Mac OS. I deleted/deactivated them completly and reinstalled them one by one, carefully reboothing my Mac between each new installation. Some upgrades where installed for some.

Question about User Account vs. System's Files

Can I delete certain presets and/or preference files only stored in my "User Account" but should I never do this with files stored in the "System Folder" or the "Main Library"? Sorry, I'm an "Older Guy" and I'm used to older versions of Macs... Thank you for suggesting any good updated documentation on that matter.

Which Quicktime to use with mac OS 10.6: 7.6.6 or 7.7?

This is not clear at all on Apple's Web Site. I've downloaded and installed both. Maybe this is my problem. I wish Apple would more clear about it for those like me who want to use Quicktime Pro: 7.6.6 for Mac Os 10.6 and 7.7 for Mac Os 10.5???

As for now...

My system is behaving better and it' also much more stable now, thank you! All the suggested steps have been made to to resolve certain issues.

But not all...

I've still have the problem with QuickTime 7 and Flash 14 plugin when I browse and watch certain videos on the Web after a certain time. It's still very annoying when it's starts: I get an all smeared up display of my desktop afterwards (as shown in the above example in my first post). Restarting my Mac resolve's it for a a while only... It seem's that there's a problem with the Video Ram stored when Quicktime/Flash 14 are used? They freeze the System's process who is trying to erase the old data and prevent's it to replace/refresh it with new data on screen...

Thank you for your time and looking forward to read you,

Robert Marchand

Jul 18, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi, sorry if you read the message twice...

Making some changes made the first message unavailable to your reply. So I copy and pasted a final version to your reply.

R. Marchand

Le 18 juil. 2014 à 11:13AM, Apple Support Communities Updates a écrit :

You received a reply

Eric Root has replied to your question. You can view the full discussion in Apple Support Communities.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - About

Correct Answer Helpful Answer

Use the buttons above to tell Eric Root and the rest of the community if this reply solved your question or helped you get closer to finding a solution.

To reply to Eric Root, go to the discussion in Apple Support Communities.

You are receiving this email from Apple Support Communities. You can change your email preferences in your Apple Support Communities Profile.

TM and copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 96-DM. Cupertino, CA 95014.

All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Apple Support

Jul 19, 2014 11:53 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi,

Thanks for your cooperation. I already use those softwares. I've tried to upgrade "Flip for Mac" but I think it no longer support 10.6. I've upgraded Divix player and it seem's to be working "OK". As for VLC Player, I have found and upgrade for 10.6 so I will see if it works well. I use it basically to view some movie made in AVI format. I didn't know there where a VLC plugin made for seeing videos on the Web?

I see that I have a lot of "Cathup" to do. By the way, what is your opinion about Quicktime 7.7. and 7.6.6, which one should I use? 7.7 doesn't seem to be so much of a big help for me.

Thank's again,

R. Marchand

Jul 31, 2014 6:05 PM in response to rmarchan

About:
Mac OS 10.6.8 Crash and video freeze, Mac Pro

Hi,

After many readings on the subject an looking in at Mozilla's forums, one solution as discussed. Get the browser to play in 32 bIts instead of 64 Bits. Does that make sens to any?

So I've tried it and it seem's that FireFox is much more stable with videos using Quicktime's or Adobe Flash 14 plugins.

For now on, I keep my fingers crossed...

Thank's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.