Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro will not start up.

Hi,

My macbook pro froze the other day day whilst watching a movie on vlc. I think it is a 13' dual core i5 processor, I bought it about 3-4 years ago.

Eventually I had to turn off using the power button but when i went to restart, it arrives at the apple logo on the grey screen with the spinning black wheel.

I tried restarting holding down the option key, agin holding down the c key, another time with the s key and also a pram reset. I always end up back with the apple logo and spinning icon.

Is there anything else I can do please?

btw I'm using mavericks 10.9.4 i think.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:59 PM

The startup disk may need repairing ...

Starup your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. From there you should be able to access the built in utilities in OS X Recovery to repair the startup disk and restore OS X.

6 replies

Jul 14, 2014 3:55 AM in response to jrh89

When you've reached that point, it's often difficult to back up data - but you can try.

Get an external drive, format it for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and go back to Disk Utility and see if you can create a new disk image from your boot drive onto the external drive. This may or may not work, depending on how damaged the disk really is. Alternative is to purchase an application that tries to rebuild the data structure of the disk and 'rescue' some of the data on the disk (DiskWarrior or Data Rescue 3). Take a look at their websites and see what you think.

Good luck,

Clinton

macbook pro will not start up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.