Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change itunes mp4 back to mp3

Hello everyone,

I have not had to use my iTunes in quite some time but today I wanted to download a stopwatch app and I need to update my itouch to do so. When I went to do just that I got a popup that said I have purchased items that have not been saved to the iTunes library and if I update i'll lose them. Ok so I go to my purchased list and I have 12 songs in there. When I try to play them only 1 of the 12 will play. When I look them up on my pc I noticed the files are mp4 protected files. 3 questions 1) if I have purchased them shouldn't I be able to play them? 2) Why are they protected if I bought them? 3) How do I fix this?

Thank You for your help!

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:11 PM

8 replies

Jul 12, 2014 7:52 PM in response to Timothy Hill

1) if I have purchased them shouldn't I be able to play them?

Yes, you can play them, as long as your computer is authorized to that account.

2) Why are they protected if I bought them?

Because you bought them from the iTunes Store. If you had bought them from Amazon, they would not be protected.

3) How do I fix this?

Burn them to an audio CD, and re-import them in MP3 format to your iTunes library.

Jul 12, 2014 8:40 PM in response to ed2345

Thank You for your help

However since I posted this topic I have found a total of 311 songs that have somehow been changed to the m4p format. I have been working on this since I opened this topic and have read other posts that suggest ways to fix this and none of them work. I have checked the check box for all 311 and tried to burn them but it will not even give me the option to do so. I have also tried to burn just one and still no option to burn. I checked the 12 purchased songs and they ARE in my library but they are part of the 311 I can't play.

I thought I would just by bypass the "add to your library" step for now and do the firmware update anyway but the next step says the update will erase all the apps and such on my itouch and I should download the update to my pc. Well with the problem I'm having with the songs on iTunes I don't want to lose what is on my itouch because the songs on it are all working, including the ones that are not working on iTunes. it's just strange they were all working when I put them on the itouch a couple of years ago. I must have done something somewhere with another update that reset the upload setting to the m4p from the mp3 or it was an auto setting change with an update. Whatever it was I now have 311 songs I can only play through my itouch and I don't want to sinc it up or update it for fear of losing those songs.

it's late here so I'm heading to bed, tomorrow is another day.

thank you for your time and help

Jul 13, 2014 4:05 AM in response to Timothy Hill

Timothy,

The .m4p format was the format used for protected AAC files sold by the iTunes Store up to mid-2009. There is no way in iTunes for a song in another format to get converted to .m4p.

Double-check the format of all those problem songs. For the protected ones, make sure they play in iTunes. If they play, try to burn to audio CD in small batches (playlists of 75 minutes max).

Jul 13, 2014 11:38 AM in response to ed2345

Ok get this. I just got home and had about an hour before I have to leave again so I decided to have another look. Again nothing worked. So just for the heck of it I looked up my authorized pc's. This machine is already authorized and is 1 of only 3. Although it is already listed I went and authorized it again anyway and got a popup saying "this machine is already authorized". I then tried the protected songs and now they work! So it had to have been a problem with iTunes and by authorizing it again I reset it somehow. Tomorrow I will try updating the itouch which was my original goal along with getting the app I wanted.

I still don't see a way it will allow me to burn them though.

Thank You for taking the time to respond and try to get my problem resolved. it's much appreciated!!

Jul 13, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Timothy Hill

Timothy Hill wrote:

Ok get this. I just got home and had about an hour before I have to leave again so I decided to have another look. Again nothing worked. So just for the heck of it I looked up my authorized pc's. This machine is already authorized and is 1 of only 3. Although it is already listed I went and authorized it again anyway and got a popup saying "this machine is already authorized". I then tried the protected songs and now they work!

Good! So it was indeed an authorization problem.

I still don't see a way it will allow me to burn them though.

Thank You for taking the time to respond and try to get my problem resolved. it's much appreciated!!

Timothy,

Start a new Regular Playlist, and put a batch of protected songs into it, making sure to say under 75 minutes play time. Get a blank CD-R, and burn the list as an audio CD. Does it work?

Jul 13, 2014 8:15 PM in response to ed2345

Awesome!! I did as you posted, made a playlist and burned them to a cd, and i'm in the process now of re-importing them. After the first song I checked and it did indeed import it as an mp3 and it plays.

Thank You Very Much!!

Now i'll be able to do the update and get the app. I didn't mention this before but the reason I wanted the stopwatch app is for a Halloween Party my club will be having for the kids this year and the stopwatch will be used for an apple bobbing contest. So I really do thank you, your the best.

Tim

Jul 14, 2014 4:09 AM in response to Timothy Hill

Timothy Hill wrote:

Awesome!! I did as you posted, made a playlist and burned them to a cd, and i'm in the process now of re-importing them. After the first song I checked and it did indeed import it as an mp3 and it plays.

Thank You Very Much!!

Now i'll be able to do the update and get the app. I didn't mention this before but the reason I wanted the stopwatch app is for a Halloween Party my club will be having for the kids this year and the stopwatch will be used for an apple bobbing contest. So I really do thank you, your the best.

Tim

Timothy,

Excellent! Glad it is all working. Have a great party with the kids!

Ed

how to change itunes mp4 back to mp3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.