Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to connect a Windows Home/Workgroup from a Mac?

I have a few Windows PC connected through Windows Homegroup to share the files through my PCs. Recently I purchased a Mac and wondering, is it possible to connect this to the Homegroup? I know that, you can share the files by username and password. But I am not interested to let someone else to know my password.

Instead of that I would like to connect my mac to the Windows Homegroup using the Homegroup password. It you know how the Windows Homegroup/Workgroup works, you would understand what I mean.

Help or hits are appreciated.

Posted on Jul 12, 2014 6:11 PM

1 reply

Jul 12, 2014 6:47 PM in response to Mamun Srizon

I DO NOT know how Windows Homegroup/Workgroup, but one thing you might check to see if it affects behavior, is the

System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> WINS -> Workgroup: <workgroupName>

Does anything change if you specify the workgroup name for your home Windows network?

You can also add the Windows servers in this pref as well.

The other thing that may or may not be useful.

System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options, Click on the Padlock in lower left corner, and authenticate yourself as the Mac OS X admin. You can now set a Network Account Server, if your Homegroup/Workgroup has a network account server. NOTE: I have NEVER EVER played with this, so you are on your own if you mess with this. Maybe some Google research before you play with this to make sure you do not back yourself into a corner.

Is it possible to connect a Windows Home/Workgroup from a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.